harpcolumn

Playing the Harp in Movies

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Playing the Harp in Movies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

David Ice has put together a wonderful multi-media presentation of harps and harpists in the movies which can sometimes be seen at AHS conferences.

unknown-user
    Participant

After watching “Persuasion” yesterday, and seeing the scene where

Henrietta Musgrove is playing the harp (yeah, right!) it made me

wonder if there are other movies (besides Harpo Marx playing the

Hungarian Rhapsody)where there is a scene with a harp being played.

The only other ones I came up with are “Sense and Sensibility” and “A

Little Princess”. Does anyone know of any others? I’ll bet a good

majority would be period movies.

Cary Grant played (mimed playing) a harp in a key scene of “The Bishop’s Wife,” which starred Loretta Young and David Niven.

unknown-user
    Participant

I do remember watching The Bishop’s Wife but it was before I began playing the harp.

unknown-user
    Participant

“The Princess Diaries,” “Haunted Mansion” (well more or less without a visible harpist,” “The Matrix,” there are a lot of movies and tv shows that just use harps as props. *shakes fist at Hollywood* ‘The Munsters,’ ‘That’s So Raven,’ ‘Oprah’ (on occasion),and a few more, but I’ve been put on the spot, so I can’t think of them now.

Hope that helps anyway.

tony-morosco
    Participant

Mansfield Park – The sister of the scoundrel plays the harp and the actress actually does a very good job of making it look like she really was playing.

Dangerous Liaisons. There is a scene where someone is practicing the harp and another person comes by and corrects their hand position.

alexander-rider
    Participant

There was an episode of that sitcom I really SHOULDN’T

unknown-user
    Participant

Here are two more which might interest you.

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks so much for all your answers.

carl-swanson
    Participant

You really must make an effort to see David Ice’s presentation on the harp in

Cinema.

unknown-user
    Participant

I’ve always wondered what they do with those harps that are used in films anyway??

unknown-user
    Participant

There are so many, I wish I could remember them all. The best use of harp I’ve seen on tv has been on the Carol Burnett Show, Cheers, and Frasier… and of course, I Love Lucy.

unknown-user
    Participant

There’s also a Humphrey Bogart movie in which a whole scene is about the harpist playing in a night club, and they sit and listen to her. I wish I could remember the name, but it was one of his later movies.

unknown-user
    Participant

In Pride and Prejudice (one of the best movies ever made!) has a harp as a prop near the piano that I suppose Mr Darcy’s “very accomplished” sister plays (not actually in the movie, she just plays the piano but you hear that she plays and sings all day so you would guess she is the one who plays it, if that makes sense :o).

unknown-user
    Participant

Lydia,

I had forgotton about the harp in Pride & Prejudice, which surprises me as it is also my favorite movie of all time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies