Waring Harps…need answers!

• Participant
    Evangeline Williams on #68858

There’s a harp out there called the Waring Harp, and it’s

soundbox/board is made of heavy duty cardboard.

I know…eek, that does sound terrible.

But it’s for use in music therapy with children as an accompanying

instrument (the way many MTs use guitars and autoharps).

Participant
    Zen Sojourner on #68859

OMGosh, I went and looked, and I can’t help it, that thing looks REALLY flimsy.

Participant
    unknown-user on #68860

Actually, the Waring harps have a remarkably good sound.

Participant
    unknown-user on #68861

I don’t know about the Waring Harps, but I have known lap dulcimers made of wood and carboard that are really quite sturdy. But, I know from experience that the harpscicles and sharpsicles are extremely hardly and have a wonderful sound.

Participant
    unknown-user on #68862

Do they also mix milkshakes? Puree vegetables?

Participant
    unknown-user on #68863

No blending capabilities, but you can slice hardboiled eggs through the strings.

Participant
    unknown-user on #68864

If you use the strings as bowstrings, and buy a goodly supply of arrows, you can defend yourself against the barbarian hordes if they happen to attack while you’re at a gig.

Participant
    unknown-user on #68865

….or if you don’t have the right credit card….

Participant
    unknown-user on #68866

Sorry I haven’t seen this question sooner.

Participant
    Susan Dennis on #68867

I know this is old, but it still comes up on top on Google, so I thought I would add my comments. I am currently in the middle of assembling my Waring harp, so I can’t comment on the sound quality.

However, the harp is not all cardboard. It has a wood triangle for the frame. The soundbox is cardboard, but sturdy with the addition of paint. If something happens to the soundbox, you can get another for $5.

Frankly, I would rather risk a $5 cardboard soundbox with kids (and then they won’t feel bad), then a $300 harpsicle (and definitely not my dusty strings). The harp is meant to be used by kids.

I’ll also note that so far the assembly is easy. I suspect that putting in the tune pins will be a challenge. And of course stringing is it’s own adventure, but you have to replace strings on any harp.

Participant
    unknown-user on #68868

I’m a 59-year old beginning harpist and didn’t want to spend a huge amount of money on an instrument at the outset. I stumbled on the Waring Harp and ordered a kit, because the price was right.

Participant
    Tacye on #68869

Nancy, there is a sort of non-slip material sometimes sold in cheapo shops as drawer liner.

Participant
    Dennis Waring on #68870

In regard to Zen Sojourner’s assessment of the Waring Harp. It is obvious she has never seen one, held one, or played one. Waring Harps are serious instruments, sell worldwide and have received scores of positive reviews from amateur and professional alike. Why this person is so angry and judgmental I can only imagine. Ignore her.

Participant
    ellen-beckerman on #68871

Hi 59 year old unknown user, have you tried a lap harp sling? They have one at Harps Etc. I’ve never tried one, but was thinking of getting one to see what it was like. It looks pretty useful! http://www.harpsetc.com/lap-harp-sling.html

Participant
    ellen-beckerman on #68872

By the way, I did get a lap sling, and it works great with my lap harp, a Triplett Zephyr (teeny-weeny), but it would easily accommodate a larger lap harp. I think it was only $35… can really solve the problem of holding lap harps, and the sling folds up and is completely portable.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.