Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    unknown-user on #161477

I am considering building a harp for my wife from a kit; probably a
    36 Clarsarch or something like.

Participant
    unknown-user on #161478

Hi Jeremy

I’m afraid I can’t comment on kit harps, but you might check out Denwar harps in Australia http://www.harpsales.com/ (although at time of posting the site wasn’t responding). There are some excellent comments about his harps on this board.

Also try Harps & Harps who are in NSW. They have a very comprehensive website http://www.harps.com.au/ and stock a good range including Camac harps. I have just acquired a Camac pedal harp which I love, but have heard great things about their lever harps too and may consider one in the future. I also find their UK prices very reasonable at the moment and the euro/pound exchange is not especially favourable.

I’m sure you will get plenty of comments about building harps too – hope this is a useful alternative suggestion! Good luck, Jen

Participant
    unknown-user on #161479

From experiences of the harpers in my area, I haven’t heard very good feedback about Kit Harps.
    If your wife is /wants to be serious about the harp I would keep searching.. if it is a romantic gesture /gift a Kit Harp would be fine.
    I’m pretty sure that harps are duty free..

Participant
    evelyn-tiffany-castiglioni on #161480

You might also try Andrew Thom Harps in Tasmania.

Participant
    unknown-user on #161481

If you go with one of the reputable kit makers, you can get very
    good results.

Participant
    unknown-user on #161482

Greetings Jeremy from DENWAR HARPS

Participant
    unknown-user on #161483

I would suggest Musicmakers.

Participant
    unknown-user on #161484

I’ve built kits from three different companies, and the Musicmakers are by far the best.

Participant
    john-durgan on #161485

Hi,

I built a music makers kit several months ago as a starter instrument.

Participant
    william-weber on #161486

A kit harp can be superior, but expect to take a week or more to assemble and glue the many parts. The Gothic Harp kit from Maryland-based based James Cox, Luthier. Ltd

Participant
    Liam M on #161487

Well Jeremy I see your post is from 2004. I would suspect you have either built a kit or moved on.

However, commenting on Kits, Plan Builts, in the whites and scratch builts; there is a certain additional level of enjoyment that comes with playing an instrument that you have been intimate in bringing to voice.

I would recommend it highly to all who wish to try. Start with what you feel comfortable with and progress as you wish. I believe Audrey’s Tony has possibly one of the most interesting stories here with the Franken Harp… But it is her tale to tell…..

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #161488

Yep…Tony build “Frankie” out of PVC parts, following plans he bought from John Kovac:

http://www.johnkovac.com/piperharp.html

Here’s the finished result:

Participant
    Karen Johns on #161489

Audrey,

You might be interested to know that the Voyageur can also be strung with wire strings, in case you want a larger wire-strung in the future. If you want to go with nylon, I recommend getting the performance set. The gut strings in the baritone range have a beautiful warm and mellow sound. You really can’t go wrong with the Voyageur model- it was the first harp Dave & I built from Musicmaker’s kits and it turned out great.

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #161490

Thanks for the input, Karen.

Participant
    Karen Johns on #161491

Isn’t there a synthetic gut string? I think it might be called Burgundy? I’ll check on these…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.