harpcolumn

Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

A few months ago, I posted a message about a problem I was having with cracked, painful, splitting and bleeding fingers…someone answered me with a recipe for a comfrey poultice that they used on a friend who sustained 2nd degree chemical burns on their hands…if you’re out there, can you please send me the recipe again? I’ve lost your Email and I made the poultice, but I’m not sure that I did it right…
    Thanks!

unknown-user
    Participant

I am 59 and have always been really bothered by cracked fingertips in the winter. I tried everything that everyone mentioned. Nothing ever helped. I type and can’t wear band aids. They don’t help anyway. Last year a woman I work with had cracked feet and had surgery. They gave her Ammonium Lactate Lotion 12% and she gave me some. I would dip my fingers in this throughout the day and for the first winter in ages they actually healed. I believe this name is the generic name for it. It can be bought online. There are many nerves in the ends of our fingers and toes and the cracks really hurt. I am going to ask my Doctor when I have my check up for a prescripton and it will be even cheaper. I paid about 20.00 for 8 Oz and it was worth every penny.

unknown-user
    Participant

For four years now my finger tips have hardened then cracked. I have a drawer of different creams that I?ve tried at one time or another and nothing worked. However, after a few expensive trips to the Mayo clinic, I was prescribed Soriatane, 25mg, one a day and the cracking eased up big time but not 100%. The only real fix was the Prednisone, that stuff heals it 100%.

Keep Looking

unknown-user
    Participant

My husband has this problem. It started when we begin testing his blood sugar by pricking the fingertips. I have heard of using Tea Tree Oil for this, but I do not know exactly how to use it. Has anyone ever heard of this product being used for this condition?

I have seen some of your replies and think I will try some of them. He is desperate to find a cure. He is now using Aveeno with 1% hydrocortisone in it. If he applies this to his fingetips three or four times a day it sort of keeps it at bay…but isn’t there a cure for this?

unknown-user
    Participant

i started suffering from dry cracking and bleeding fingertips several years ago.

unknown-user
    Participant

Everyone…the name of the product is MELROSE.

Zen Sojourner
    Participant
    unknown-user
    Participant

I used Neutrogena until the problem cleared up and now use Vaseline
    Intensive Care Hand & Body lotion (yellow bottle) to keep dryness away. Last thing at night and a few times during the day. The skin has
    healed and no more cracked fingers…..

unknown-user
    Participant

A few years ago I obtained a product called Split Finger Treatment Cream, it was made or marketed by Cadie Products Corp. stock #2232c.
    It was very effective in soothing and healing split fingers but I have not been able to obtain it for some time now, has anybody heard of this or tried it? And does anyone know of a supplier?

unknown-user
    Participant

The following link may help, if you haven’t already seen it. Before checking it out, I was not aware that using neomycin (as opposed to polysporin) to help heal cracked fingertips might actually aggravate the problem (I had been using a neomycin-based ointment twice a day). It also says that using Super Glue could possibly trigger contact dermatitis, though apparently many folks swear by it, including some MDs (as per a previous harpcolumn post I just saw). Here’s the link: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/skindoctor/handcare.html

unknown-user
    Participant

Like all of you I have tried everything.

unknown-user
    Participant

I have had a problem with splitting fingers and thumbs for several years now.

unknown-user
    Participant

59 and still no solution in sight for cracking fingers and thumbs. You would think, wouldn’t you, that having split the atom, sent men to the moon on a computer with as much power as a hand held calculator and now being able to look into the deepest space, that someone medical would have recognised that this splitting digit problem is EXTREMELY widespread and would have realised that this could, just maybe, be a great money earner if they invented a solution to the problem. But no, my doc just says “Oh, I have that problem as well, hurts, doesn’t it”. I am delighted to have found this site and will try some of the remedies. To be honest I would on a daily basis plunge my hands into a cow-pat if I knew it would stop my fingers and thumbs splitting. Will report back on what worked best. – So far only New Skin and plasters seem to mitigate the problem temporarily. I live in hope. Thanks for this site.

unknown-user
    Participant

Here’s my situation.

About 18 months ago the tip of my right index finger just split open.

unknown-user
    Participant

Turpentine soaking………Turpentine is toxic and your skin is the largest organ in your body.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 123 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies