unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: aoyama legs #69001
    unknown-user
    Participant

    yes i have but they wanted £140 for them .

    in reply to: Pay someone to write a piece #155594
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Well, I have spent a couple hours with links to the videos you posted – I’m amazed at the variety of music that is out there connected to video games which I first got acquainted with through the Legend of Zelda material.

    in reply to: Pay someone to write a piece #155592
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi – sounds like what you are looking for is an arranger – do you have a harp teacher?

    in reply to: Are two adjacent strings the same thickness? #69060
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thank you, Carl.

    in reply to: Welsh folk music recommendations #155659
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The first ones that come to mind are “The Ash Grove” and “All through the Night” – another Welsh tune that is an all time favorite of mine is the tune “Aberystwyth” which has been used as one of the hymn settings for “Jesus, Lover of My Soul” – it is a lovely and quite powerful melody –

    Wikipedia has quite an interesting entry on Welsh music

    in reply to: Helpful Websites #103381
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks, Sylvia. I find those websites invaluable as well, though I hadn’t heard of the second link you posted. Anyone else?

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Aoyama harps? Pedal harps please :D #165718
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Do people actually go on the forums page to look for posts? I only check the front page, which this post is on.

    Also, she’s only looking for a general review of the manufacturer, so a model, size etc. is not really pertinent.

    Aoyamas are very nice harps. I like another brand personally, but they have a nice warm sound and excellent clarity. I was not as impressed with the bass and treble ranges as the mid range, but it is definitely a manufacturer to keep in mind.

    Another consideration is that there is limited availability for maintenance outside Japan. For instance – and I don’t know where you are, so this might not be helpful – in the US, the only place, as I understand it, that you can get an Aoyama maintenanced is at the west coast distributor, which is in Oregon or Washington.

    Hope that helps,
    ~Sam

    in reply to: Self-important new husband arrogant about my harp biz #145616
    unknown-user
    Participant

    yes – file for divorce –

    in reply to: discipline and practice #144780
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Although I agree with Carl, I imagine this isn’t so uncommon. For instance, take a young prodigy. He is skilled, talented, and playing advanced pieces. The thing about many prodigies, however, is that they fizzle out – and a lot of research says that they fizzle out because they reach a point in their musical studies at which they must learn to actually work to produce the high quality results that have been flowing effortlessly and naturally for years, and that roadblock is very discouraging. The same thing actually happened to me this past year, but not in music (and I was by no means a prodigy in the field). It sounds like the same situation here, and would also explain why the student hasn’t learned how to properly practice.

    I don’t really have any advice that would be worth giving if you truly have not learned how to practice, since that information is best conveyed in person and other the course of many lessons instead of one written forum posting. However, it sounds like if you learn how to practice in such a way that you continue getting satisfactory results, that will help. However, I really don’t know what to say about motivating yourself to practice. Perhaps if you learn to practice properly and see results, you will become more motivated.

    ~Sam

    unknown-user
    Participant

    Is that a cello?

    OR

    Wow! I love your cello!

    I’ve gotten that so many times it’s incredible.

    ~Sam

    unknown-user
    Participant

    I was a guitar player as a teen – then had the standard kid’s piano lessons – I was 34 when a very vintage Troubadour

    in reply to: Repertoire for Harp, Cello and Clarinet? #146052
    unknown-user
    Participant

    there is a beautiful piece for just harp and clarinet by composer Stephen Paulus called Restless Dreams. Contact the composer’s website for more information: stephenpaulus.com

    in reply to: Wedding Harpists using Groupon #146010
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hmm – sounds like one I did about 5 years ago – a last minute outdoor wedding at a local classy hotel here in San Antonio – I was booked by the bride two days before over the phone on a referral from the hotel which got my name from a contractor here – I did the wedding without a contract since I had done work for this hotel and staff before – Brides’ father gave me a check on a Dallas bank after the wedding after I tracked him down – 7 days later the check bounced, and the lady at the hotel said she would collect for me – then it turned out that these folks had stiffed the hotel for the wedding and reception for everything over the initial credit card deposit – they were all from Dallas, and subsequently totally disappeared – it ended up that no one got their money – I’ve always wondered which mafia they were all from – LOL – fortunately I’ve only been stiffed twice like that in almost 40 years – the other one was for a reception at the most exclusive club here in San Antonio – they were also from out of town and disappeared afterward – kind of makes you wonder just how some of these folks come by their brass balls – – – – –

    in reply to: move harp cross country #146028
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Suggest you check with LH and Venus in Chicago – ask which shippers

    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks so much to all of you for your thoughts on this subject –

    John

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 5,570 total)