sherry-lenox

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 747 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I should also add that this is something some music teacher should have taught you and didn’t. Their fault, not yours.

    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    A song’s not a song ’till you sing it……….. Other choices are “composition-performance-selection……”.

    in reply to: Need Sheet Music Download NOW! #104857
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    This song has 2 very different melodies. One melody is in the Reader’s Digest Christmas Song Book. There should be at least one version in the Methodist or Presbyterian Hymnal. The Reader’s Digest version has chord symbols but the accompaniment as printed would not work for lever harp.

    If you have been asked to play this, the person who has asked you will hopefully know which version of the melody is wanted.

    in reply to: Pedal Harp String Tension: TIGHT! #156719
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    What does your teacher think? Will you be taking lessons on a pedal harp with similar tension? I practice on two pedal harps, one with relatively light pedal harp tension and the other with quite a bit firmer tension.

    I take lessons on my teacher’s Salvi, and the tension is the most firm of any harps that I play. It can be difficult to switch among the three, but after ten or fifteen minutes, the Salvi feels OK.

    in reply to: Dusty Strings FH26 – do the older versions hold up (1988)? #70606
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Dusty Strings harps seem very versatile for numerous tytpes of music. Are they frisky enough for rapid Irish and Scottish music?

    in reply to: Yolanda #104912
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Kay, I said it before and I will now say it again- YOU ARE HOT STUFF!!!!

    What a WONDERFUL OPPORTUNITY!!!!

    in reply to: Harp dimension #70818
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    My practice harp is small and I take lessons on my teacher’s huge Salvi. Although it is a wonderful sounding harp, I dislike playing it because neither pedals nor strings are where I expect them to be.

    in reply to: pedalling: assistive devices help #70908
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Hi sheila- would you care to provide a little more detail about your specific problem with the A pedal? For example, does your foot over or under reach for the pedal? I may be able to think of something but I need to know a little more about how you need compensate for what you do now. Please feel free to email me privately if you prefer.

    in reply to: What is your favorite piece for harp? #156757
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I’m afraid that’ s like asking a parent to single out a favorite child. I love pieces I’ve played and pieces I can’t play yet but hope to some day and pieces I listen to and love but may never be able to play.

    in reply to: Picking Up First Pedal Harp Tomorrow #156749
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Wonderful!! What’s the serial number? Mine is 696, a straight board Style C. They really are gorgeous. Bunches of good luck with it!

    in reply to: Who is playing in this video? #104969
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    That looks like a rather masculine hand doesn’t it?

    Giselle MacKenzie was a pretty accomplished violinist, but I never heard of Dorothy Collins playing the harp.

    in reply to: Trombone Concerto by John Mackey (wind ensemble) #147006
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    If you google it, you can find some very funny things that have been said about it. It certainly has been performed by some august wind ensembles.
    I always return to the question “Is it really necessary to play these modern pieces at the volume of a departing international jet plane?”

    in reply to: 2011 Harp Cars #104072
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Saul, I’ve been yammering on about the Flex for over two years. It’s a wonderful safe car besides being very easy to load. i’d love someone to try to load a llarge harp into it.

    I know I could esaily get at least two 85 P’s in, and maybe even a third.

    in reply to: BEST TEACHER #104997
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Sometimes i get a little frustrated on behalf of my truly wonderful teacher because although she is very distinguished, having studied with Pierre Jamet and having played a jury before Lily Laskine, she is not well known in this country.

    Now after several years she is returning to more active playing, so I’m sure she will soon be better known as both a wonderful teacher and a wonderful concert artist.

    YES, I feel very lucky indeed to have her.

    in reply to: Please help to choose from two L&H petite harps #71055
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I bought an 11 year old 85 P a year ago, and i can’t think of enough good things to say about it.

    As an old musician I’ve always preferred to play a newish but played in instrument. Especially buying one of the CPOs, you are getting an instrument with any potential bugs takn care of, with a new regulation.

    I love to think that my 85 P is a special stupendous amazing one of a kind,

    but the fact is, Lyon and Healy just makes really excellent harps.

    I’ll bet you’ll love which ever one you decide on!

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 747 total)