sherry-lenox

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 747 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: White or Black harp is cooler? #156815
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I bought my 85P second hand and coinidentally, it is ebony. I am so happy that it turned out that way. To me it is very striking, and looks larger to the 85 P in other colors.

    The one negative point is that a s ratch looks worse than on a lighter color.

    Hope you enjoy whatever you decide!

    in reply to: Harp Demo for Kids #83041
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    The band kids may enjoy learning that many large professional bands had harpists, and that the military bands today still do!

    in reply to: The most fantastic thing coming up for auction… #105081
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    One of my all time favorite holiday movies. I learned through this post that Richard Addinsell scored some or all of the music, and most of the music is beautifully arranged and quite familiar, but does anyone know if the polka played at Fred’s house when Scrooge dances with Fred’s wife was composed for the movie or was an arrangement of an older tune?

    in reply to: Great evening! #105084
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    We all knew you’d make us proud! A GREAT achievement! Congratulations!

    in reply to: any experience with “automatic finger control”? #156883
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    The first thought that entered my head was Robert Schumann. I think for every instrument I’ve ever played, there were etudes to develop the strength and dexterity needed to get the job done, with automatic response beng the goal.

    The automatic part is intriguing though. For every woodwind I’ve ever played, I developed a sense of automatic fingering and in fact that’s something that once in place, never leaves, at least for me.

    After four+ years of very good instruction on the harp, I’m only just beginning to develop some sence of automaticity, but the process seems to me to be very different from doing the same thing on a woodwind or other orchestral strings.

    When I first began I would get almost frustrated enough to quit because my eyes would know what I needed to do and my fingers were floppy carrots. Happily I can now sight read some simple things with 75% or more accuracy on the first try. I think of that, on a very very basic level, as automatic fingering.

    in reply to: Two harp teachers at the same time? #83053
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I will tell you that when I was in college, if a student took lessons from someone in addition to the college professor, they were dismissed from school!

    If the two teachers had different ideas about doing the same thing, how would you decide which one to listen to? It seems as though one teacher is teaching technique from the Russian School and one from another method. How will you decide which to pursue?

    Do you have a harp? If not, the money saved by studying with the teacher in Belgium might help you get your harp sooner.

    I place a lot of confidence in a teacher, so it would be very difficult to try to “serve two masters”.

    in reply to: classic lever harps as stepping stones to pedals #156864
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I think my Thormahlen Serenade, strung with nylon, was an absolutely perfect stepping stone to pedal harp, but the nice thing is it was also a perfect “stay here and play” harp. The tension is just slightly lighter than my 85P.

    I think the more involved I get with harps the more i realize that individual harps are like individual people- when you get to know them, they can surprise you no matter what you thought in the first place.

    in reply to: How important are sharping levers? #156912
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Your measured response is both enlightening and humorously ironic. I was ready to let fly this morning when I read the previous post, but you responded in a manner much more appropriate than mine would have been.

    OP you will want as many levers as possible right from day one. You can play period music by not using your levers, but try playing diatonic music without them!

    in reply to: Camac Little Big Blue Electro-Acoustic #70641
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Any particular reason for the electro-acoustic? The camac Clio is lighter than most other pedal harps and has 44 strings. I have an 85P that I consider a wonderful harp. Harps are amazingly hard to move and even with full time enthusiastic help, that can be an important consideration.

    I have fibro and probably arthritis in my hands, but they never hurt when I play my harp. I’m very lucky in that respect and there are others who have had significant problems with pulling strings, so hopefully they’ll post too.

    Isn’t it just the best thing on Earth to be able to take harp lessons and play?

    🙂

    in reply to: Getting excited!! #105096
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    BLISS! Are you going to be video taped while you work with her? It would be like a textbook to watch over and over again when you get home.

    I think your selections are perfect.

    in reply to: Lever Harp Question #71246
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Thanks a bunch!

    in reply to: 2011 Harp Cars #104054
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I don’t work for Ford but I own one! We have a Ford Flex that is worth every cent of its cost. It has gotten me to and from events in ice and snow, its VERY easy to load and unload, and it’s comfortable to use with the two back seats down flat.

    The gas mileage averages around 20 mpg. Also a wonderful trip car.

    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    There’s a great deal on an 85P today on the L&H website gently used section!

    in reply to: Arioso Bach transcribed by Yolanda Kondonassis #147218
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    This is very interesting to me because of the music theory involved. As part of the cantata does it end on a V or other chord leading into the
    first chord of the next section?

    Looking forward to this mystery being resolved even if the final chord isn’t!

    🙂

    in reply to: anyone else find a patterned carpet offputting? #105311
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I always thought that if I waited long enough I’d find some reason to be grateful for my congenitally crossed eyes!

    My field of vision doesn’t encompass floors- I’m darn lucky to be able to see my music and my hands. AND THAT’S ALL!

    I can be parked on a wavy, liney, red white and blue checkerboard/stripe/polka dot field of flowers, and as far as I can tell, it’s perfectly plain.

    Lucky Me!

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 747 total)