harpcolumn

Pedal Harp String Tension: TIGHT!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Pedal Harp String Tension: TIGHT!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Aria
    Participant

Hi,

I just bought my first Pedal Harp.

tony-morosco
    Participant

Yes, it is normal. Even compared to lever harps that are said to be strung like a pedal harp, they still don’t have as much tension.

Yes, callouses and endurance will both develop over time. It’s just like running a marathon. You have to work up to it.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

What does your teacher think? Will you be taking lessons on a pedal harp with similar tension? I practice on two pedal harps, one with relatively light pedal harp tension and the other with quite a bit firmer tension.

I take lessons on my teacher’s Salvi, and the tension is the most firm of any harps that I play. It can be difficult to switch among the three, but after ten or fifteen minutes, the Salvi feels OK.

unknown-user
    Participant

I went from a 22 string lap harp with the lightest tension of any harp I’ve played to a Lyon and Healy petite pedal, and they’re known for having for tight tension. So I totally understand your pain!

I’ve been playing for a year, and the best thing that has helped is practice, practice, rest, practice! The resting is important once in awhile, especially after I play for 2 hours… That’s about my limit. Tonight I played at a restaurant for 2 hours, so tomorrow I will only play for pleasure if I feel like it. Otherwise I try to practice at least an hour a day! Not that I manage to DO that every day… But it’s my goal! I have light calluses now, but if I stop playing for over 3 days they disappear and I have to start ALL OVER AGAIN. Of course a few weeks ago I had some kind of throat infection and couldn’t get out of bed for 5 days or so, and my fingers are still sore. =_=

My finger sensitivity has VASTLY improved. I used to play everything at the same volume, my dynamics were terrible. Now I can play “Across the Universe” by the Beatles and play the fade out part at the end, I play softer and softer until it’s like a whisper. A year ago I couldn’t do that! My finger endurance improved too, now I can last 2 hours. A year ago the longest I’d played was 1 hour because I was forced to.

As far as pedal harp string tension goes, I think most harps are similar. I’ve only played a Lyon and Healy and Salvi though, so I’d be curious to compare! I’ve heard L&H and Salvi called “sisters” before, the companies are very similar in quality. I prefer L&H but that’s because my harp is one and I can blame my teacher for making me biased. 😉

And like I said above, practicing diligently but resting when your fingers get sore is the quickest and best way to build up endurance. I try and play arpeggios and scales and such for a few minutes to warm up and then work on what my teacher has for me. Everyone has a practice routine so I would suggest finding what works for you, what you enjoy playing, what is HARDEST to play, what is easiest to play, etc, and combine it into a daily pattern. I try and sit down for an hour but often times I just randomly walk into my room and play for 15 minutes multiple times during the day!

I’m a chatter box, so I hope you enjoyed reading this whole thing! Thanks for the interesting conversation, God bless!

— Natalie

Aria
    Participant

Thanks for the advice everyone.

It matters what kind of strings are on the harp.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Seems to me the only pedal harps with fairly light tension are the antiques. Your switching back to the Merlin off and on is probably a good idea.

unknown-user
    Participant

That’s perfect! The lighter tension will give your fingers a nice break. 🙂

Another tip that really helped me while I was building up calluses, ice your fingers if they get super sore or get blisters. I usually will get blisters on my thumbs or right index finger, so I take an ice cube (and a paper towel so I don’t drip everywhere!) and hold it between my fingers for a long time. Before I go to bed I’ll ice them for awhile. It’s also great if you play at a restaurant or something, it’s easy to ask a waiter for a cup of ice during a break and soothe the stinging fingers.

— Natalie

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I did not start playing the harp until I went to college.

Aria
    Participant

I do have a good teacher who has shown me the optimal way to work the pedals.

Tacye
    Participant

Have you worked on your posture with your teacher and your own harp/stool?

Tacye
    Participant

PS You are sitting on the very front of your stool?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies