sherry-lenox

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 706 through 720 (of 747 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Harp Volume #164457
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Also, before I expressed my feminist perspective that you should play whenever you want and let that man know he can’t push you around, I fortunately remembered that I can’t do paperwork of any kind

    in reply to: Harp Volume #164456
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Do a little research online before you purchase noise cancelling earphones too. The best (really really expensive) ones aren’t necessarily “the best”. Very good ones can be gotten for less than the BIG NAME kind.

    in reply to: Post You Harp Pic #102451
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Actually Legih there are several of us who are more or less Weebly that play. I love the bucket idea. I was just looking at an ad for arts and crafts materials today and they have a very pretty bos with cut out handles that might work for me. I’ll have to see how tall it is though.

    OTHERWISE- you are a remarkably attractive group and your harps are all glorious to look out. Also, there’s no more fun than looking at formal and informal photos of shelties.

    in reply to: Rocking Harp #87657
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Some children have problems dissociating one movement from another, although she’s a little old to be in that stage. How did she react when you tried to hold the harp? I second Saul’s suggestion- I think she needs to experience how it feels to use hands and arms alone so that she has the physical experience that she is using motion that is extraneous to playing.

    in reply to: A word to the wise… #164591
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Audrey I love this! You are my hero-of-the-week!

    in reply to: I Teach Harp #87681
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    It’s interesting- I live within 40 miles of NYC and yet I had a hard enough time finding a teacher. There was one teacher who does do a lot of self-promotion but I think she deserves to promote herself. I didn’t pursue taking lessons from her because it was an annoying drive about 15 miles away from me.

    My teacher never advertised anywhere, although she does have her name and phone # on one of the harp sales websites. I can’t think of which one.

    When I called her, she sounded mildly surprised that I had found her. She is a wonderful meticulous teacher, I think she would be an excellent teacher for advanced students, but she is scrupulously honest and doesn’t encourage kids to switch to pedal unless she feels they will continue to play in college.

    in reply to: Which harp for early music? #164395
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    As a beginneer with musical tastes similar to yours I think that your best bet early in your studies is to get a good manageable all around harp with 34-38 strings.

    I got a Thormahlen Serenade and I love it. At about the same time as I got my Serenade, I ran into a Lewis Creek Nightingale at a price I liked, and I love that too. I alternate practice between both of my harps, and since my teacher has a Lyon & Healy Prelude, with 38 strings,

    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Kay I can’t WAIT to be able to play Barbara Brundage’s music! Harmonics, huh? I’m really feeling your natural high! (with r-e-a-l-l-y broad smile)! Sherry R.

    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I have to say that the concept of “placing” has just jumped out and hit me in the head. Don’t expect that it happens for eveyone that way but it’s making practicing much more fun. I just practiced for 1 1/4 hours, and hardly felt as though I’d been at it for 5 minutes. Much more fun than ever. Where have I been for the last &$(*%& years?

    in reply to: Newbie to the harp world! #163945
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Interesting that this topic has gone in this direction just now. I study with a wonderful teacher who plays professionally and is classicaly trained (my spelling is as bad as the Does).

    She starts all of her beginners on lever, a Prelude actually, but she herself has no experience in Celtic or lever as an instrument in its own right. I have taken about ten lessons, all invaluable to me, and I love what I’m achieving.

    The problem- since I have a fairly extensive background in music, I’m fairly sure that pedal is going to be my interest. I doubt that I’d ever be able to master pedal harp to a degree where I’d feel any way comfortable playing in ensemble or in public.

    The lever harp on the other hand is the right size and style for me to continue as long as I’m able. And now I’m getting really interested in trying a double strung harp, something I know my teacher would consider an oddity at the very least.

    She’s very happy with my hand position and so am I. Now how long will I be able to benefit from her instruction even though I know that her goals for me and my goals for myself are at opposite ends of the spectrum?

    in reply to: Where do the bad harp go? #73701
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    What-if-these-posts-are-written-by-someone-who’s-not—–A MAN?

    in reply to: Where do the bad harp go? #73698
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I just found an obscure reference in an old grammar text stating that the word “harp”

    in reply to: Playing music written for other instruments #87691
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    You are correct, Kathleen. I came

    in reply to: Playing music written for other instruments #87688
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    ……..ahrghhhhhhhhhh

    in reply to: getting a piece up to speed #164655
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Kathleen’s method demonstrates the real reason for using a metronome. Also, Kathleen, your description was both interesting and enlightening. Well done!

Viewing 15 posts - 706 through 720 (of 747 total)