sherry-lenox

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 747 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Applying for Allegro Acceptance Program #104518
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Sherry there are four harps below your price range right now on the Lyon and Healy CPO list. Harps on that list are all reconditioned and sold in verygood playing condition.

    in reply to: Gold Camac levers #70573
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Does anyone know anything new about these? Are they available for US orders?

    in reply to: Just watched “The Bishop’s Wife” #104656
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I should have said a very good COPY of the film. Some versions that appear on TV have terribly garbled audio. In this one, the sound quality was excellent.

    in reply to: HARP and stairs #146696
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    There is a great little design for moving a harp if two people are available in Carl Swanson’s harp care book.

    Although it does not address stairs directly, it might be possible to adapt it enough for some staircases.

    in reply to: Merry Christmas to you all #146795
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Basel, are you able to post on YouTube? I would love to hear you play! I hope your harp dreams are coming true as we approach the New Year!

    Sherry L.

    in reply to: Christmas Gig Stories #104671
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    When the Bishop used to come to Confirmation, the choir director was told to stop on THE NOTE that was being played when the bishop’s foot hit the first step of the altar. Any hymn in progress was to stop immediately, mid-syllable if that was in synch with the falling foot.

    After some heated discussion, this was amended to STOP – V7-I, because even the bishop, who hated church musicians, came to realize that the gillliotin-like stop was a real mood breaker.

    in reply to: 20 year old Salvi Ana #70637
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I think your decision was perfect.

    in reply to: For wedding harpists… #104718
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    This is wonderful. The faux Diane Sawyer is spot on!

    in reply to: Any thoughts about doing slides well? #104708
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Thank you! If we are talking about 1-1-2 etc. fingerings, I have been taught that you have to have at least one finger placed next to the sliding finger as preparation, or kind of an anchor, for the slide.

    I guess I’d have to say I do them well using that technique, because my slide notes always sound just like the other notes around them.

    My teacher has always called them “glisses”.

    There are several etudes in Grossi-Pizzoli and Bochsa that contain lots of them.

    in reply to: Any thoughts about doing slides well? #104706
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Do these comments refer to 1-1-2-3-4 fingerings? I’m not familiar with the term “slides”.

    in reply to: Column Loading #70649
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Is there a picture in Carl Swanson’s excellent book about harp care?

    in reply to: Salvi’s new concept soundboard #70527
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I notice that people seem to be holding on to those Arion 44’s that are out there too. It is very rare to see them as a resale.

    in reply to: Humidifiers #103548
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Could someone also please indicate the proper humidity levels for harps. We can’t remember if it was 40% or 50%. Or something else?

    in reply to: favorite Christmas sheet music #104796
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Another very large vote for Whitney Dobbins with one MAJOR caution. Unless you are a really solid rhythm reader, you really can’t do these lovely gems justice.

    You may be able to play them by listening to the CD, but in my opinion they have to be executed with a strong feeling for the wonderful interchanges of traditional melodies and imaginitive and unexpected rhythms for them to really be at their best.

    At first look, they may appear easy, but don’t be fooled.

    I just love these pieces!

    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Many congrats on both your harps. I’m a LOT older than you and I’ve been playing for 4 1/2 years and trust me- it gets better and better and better! Break a leg at your recital.

    Your enthusiasm is contageous!

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 747 total)