Leigh Griffith

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: help with venus website #163802
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    It might have something to do with what browser you use. I use Netscape
    most of the time, but some sites that I can’t get into with Netscape do
    let me in with Internet Explorer.

    Just a thought,
    Leigh

    in reply to: Fashion Sense #86639
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Oh dear!

    I can just see someone describing me now – vertically challenged with
    generous horizontality- well, I guess it sounds more high-falutin’ than
    “short and fat”! ;-)

    Leigh

    in reply to: Decorating harps #111948
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Hmmm….

    I could see making a special vest with lights and an inner pocket in
    the side for the battery pack. That way it wouldn’t have to be washed
    often and could be worn with different outfits. (Like I need another
    “project”!) :-D

    Leigh

    in reply to: Nifty gig gadgets… #111912
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Hi Tony,

    I use those blue and red and yellow and white rings, too, for the exact
    same things. I also have the clip for the tuner. Everyone in our
    ensemble has one. Tuning in a room with ten other harps kinda makes
    them necessary! I also love the little black plastic shelf that I got
    from Sylvia Woods. It holds my tuner, clip, key and a pencil. I do wish
    it was a little deeper (front to back) as my tuner and my key stick out
    a little and I have knocked them off a couple of times.

    Leigh

    in reply to: Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips #157870
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Oops, meant to say have started re-using this (haven’t for years) even though we don’t have goats any more.
    My bad….
    Leigh

    in reply to: Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips #157869
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Hi Margaret,

    See post #66 on this thread for the address of the manufacturer. I love
    this stuff! Have used it for years even though we don’t have goats any
    more! ;-)
    Leigh

    in reply to: retuneing during a wedding #111976
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    I agree wholeheartedly, Sherry! I was an English Ed major in college
    and one of my first comments to my hubby after finding this wonderful
    forum was that I was glad I didn’t have to grade everyone’s spelling!
    ;-) Thankfully, harping and spelling have nothing in common that I can
    tell.

    Enough about that. I played at our church this morning and tuning was a
    nightmare! The church basement is kept at a balmy fifty degrees, but
    until someone gets there to light the wood stove it is barely above
    freezing upstairs.(I see you all cringing already)! I waited as long as
    I dared before going home to get the harp (we live about two blocks
    from the church). I told my hubby I didn’t need any help. Well over the
    past couple of days we’ve gotten about an inch of snow/freezing rain so
    I parked a little closer to the front door. This means I also parked
    closer to where the driveway slopes down to the street. It was slick,
    but I was careful and got the harp out to the car fine. The back of the
    car (because I was on the downside of the slope) was almost chest high,
    but I figured that just meant after I leaned the harp up, it would just
    take a little more oomph than usual to get it up to where I could slide
    it in. In the middle of the ‘oomph’ part, my footing gave way. A vision
    of me going down, the harp landing on top of me and the two of us
    sliding into the street in front of a logging truck flashed through my
    brain. Luckily I regained my footing, but it took three or four tries
    before I managed to get the harp far enough into the car where it
    wouldn’t fall out if I let go. My feet kept sliding the whole time, but
    I managed to keep them enough under me to finish the job.

    There were no more incidents (the minister had graveled the ramp for
    me) until it came to tuning. I always tune in octaves starting with my
    lowest string. I tuned the entire harp three times without stopping
    until I gave up because people were beginning to think that that was the prelude!

    The two hymns were ones I had never played before (my hubby and I did
    the service and which hymns we were going to use was decided last
    night. Also, I was doing a craft show on Friday and Saturday.) So, I
    was sight reading the hymns

    in reply to: Fashion Sense #86632
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Sorry, Vince, I got a bit stirred….;-)

    It is obvious that you fellows don’t know any women whose thighs rub
    together when they walk. Take a hot, humid day with a bit of anxiety
    (heat and perspiration), add rubbing thighs and no fabric between to
    absorb any moisture or friction and you have one of the most painful
    cases of heat rash on the planet! Now manipulate those pedals! In the
    summer I wear pants underneath if society dictates that I have to wear
    a dress. In the winter I wear long johns and/or pants underneath if
    society dictates I have to wear a dress. If you guys like dresses so
    much YOU wear them!

    Leigh

    in reply to: retuneing during a wedding #111962
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Hi Charles,

    Glad to hear that everything went so smoothly! Great! There are definite advantages to indoor weddings.

    I didn’t play the harp for my son’s wedding on the third of Nov. and I
    am glad! It was outdoors on the beach by the lake the day that the
    remnants of hurricane Noel came through. They were married in the calm
    before the storm – literally! It began to rain just as we were getting
    into our cars to head to the reception. That was one day I was glad I
    didn’t have to take my harp out of the house.

    Leigh

    in reply to: Just to let you know . . . #108559
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Congrats, Kay!

    Best of luck to the parents and grandparents! I’m hoping my son and his
    new wife take some time to grow up before starting a family, but I know
    that when the time comes, I will be a fool for the baby, no matter what!

    Love,

    Leigh

    in reply to: Salvi Eire #71981
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Tuck it up, your bias is showing! A lap harp is not a “toy” because it
    is small, nor are people who play the lap harp only good enough to play
    “toys”, which is what you are implying. I am only 4′ 9″ tall – this
    does not make me a child, just because I am short.

    Leigh

    in reply to: position advice sought #87175
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Wow, I read this before, but just recently have had the same symptoms
    crop up. I find that when I am reaching for the lowest strings
    (something that I am doing a LOT lately since my harp has more strings
    than anyone elses in our ensemble) I catch myself hunching over,
    leaning forward and holding the harp against me with my right hand. If
    I don’t hold on, I will push the harp away from me with my chest. I
    have very short arms and don’t have a problem reaching for the
    occasional low C, but in one piece we are doing all my notes are in my
    lowest octave. I made a comment once that I didn’t know when I got a
    bigger harp I would end up playing string bass! I have been trying to
    sit a bit higher than I am used to doing (short arms, short legs) and
    that helps some. I also find that whenever I take a break, it helps to
    do shoulder rolls.

    Leigh

    in reply to: what do you take to gig? #164152
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Hi Audrey,

    If you are using music outdoors, don’t forget something to keep your
    music from blowing around – clothespins and rubber bands are two things
    I’ve seen used.
    Enjoy!
    Leigh

    in reply to: Inspired Axioms #87178
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    A number of years ago, I remember listening to one of the “Jack
    Flanders” series on Public Radio. My favorite quote (although not harp
    related) is:

    He who eats when he is full, digs his grave with his teeth.

    Also, the next time you go out for Chinese food, have everyone at the
    table read their fortunes out loud and add the words, “in bed” to the
    end of it. :-D

    in reply to: Smokey the Harp! #164203
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Hi Audrey,

    Where was the case sitting? If it was sitting open where the smoke
    could get to it, then you put the harp in the case and left it closed
    up, the smokey case would have helped the harp to “marinate” in the
    smell. I think that regular airing of both harp and case will get rid
    of the smell pretty quickly, especailly if you weren’t that close to
    the source.

    Good luck,
    Leigh

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 163 total)