Leigh Griffith

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145239
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    The question is, did Toyota change it, or did the EPA do it to make the
    U.S. cars look better in comparison? I wouldn’t put it past them. My
    experience is that most cars do not do as well as the rating on the
    window.

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145237
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Okay, I was thinking of the Prius, sorry. My hubby’s Scion is supposed
    to get close to 40 on the highway, too, but it’s more like 35. Still
    better than the Sube, unfortunately.

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145234
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Yeah, the rest of us poor shmucks who can’t afford the expensive
    economical cars have to pay through the nose for gas or go nowhere.

    in reply to: Harp pal wanted #163387
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Has anyone noticed that James’ post was made 7 1/2 years ago? Is he even still on the list?
    Leigh

    in reply to: Playing in a hospital #163437
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Not only that, but NOT everyone is Christian! I would never play a hymn
    unless asked specifically to do so. Anything else is presumptive and
    rude as well as ignorant.
    Leigh

    in reply to: Heat/Air Vent Near Harp #163481
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Hi Laura,

    In our last house we had to divert the air from a heat vent. We found (
    I forget where, but someone at a plumbing and heating place should be
    able to help) a curved plastic “hood” that fit over the vent and
    directed the airflow. This should help keep the harp out of the direct
    line of the heat.

    Hope this helps,

    Leigh

    in reply to: Harp, belly dancer and fire juggler. #111623
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Hi Curly,

    I’m glad it went well! My hubby and I have the same problem in our
    respective businesses. We tend to want to be a bit too reasonable with
    clients. My husband agreed to do barter with a client in exchange for
    work on a laptop, then it was two laptops, then it was, “Where’s the
    network card that was with it?” (neither of us remembers seeing a
    network card), then it was, “There was a flash drive in it” (there
    wasn’t that we saw), we bought ‘replacements’ so he would quit calling
    about them, then the kicker was he figured his very rough carpentry
    skills were worth $20.00/hour. We ended up paying him!

    My bad was selling a quilt and then backing down when the buyer balked
    at the 5% sales tax! I mentioned it to a friend and her response was,
    “You WHAT?”

    Live and learn,

    Leigh

    in reply to: How many gardening harpists out there? #111263
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    -What part of the country (world?) are you in?

    Northern Maine

    -What’s coming up in your yard?

    Snow

    My husband and I used to have a 2000 sq. ft. organic vegetable garden.
    Deer weren’t much of a problem, but raccoons, woodchucks and moose were
    brutal! (The moose don’t eat anything, just step
    on it!) We have since moved onto a large in-town lot (almost an acre)
    and have hopes of having some raised beds this next summer. Arthritis
    has put a crimp in our lifestyle (which means I have time for harp!),
    but we both miss home grown food. I have had some half-barrel flower
    planters by my front porch, but that has been the extent of my
    “gardening” lately.

    Leigh

    in reply to: World beater lever harps! #68516
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Last summer at Somerset I was able to try the 36 string Llyr (next size
    down from the Storm King) and the 34 string Fisher Eireann. I would
    have gladly taken either one home, but my finances dictated a more
    modest purchase. I am not complaining about my final decision to bring
    home a 34 string walnut Triplett Sierra! I love my harp and think it is
    definitely sounding better all the time.

    Toward the end of the day when I had been trying harps for about six
    hours, the very thin carbon strings in the upper ranges were quite
    painful to pluck. One would need very serious callouses to play those
    strings for any length of time! That was the only complaint I had about
    the “Canadian” harps! ;-)

    Leigh

    in reply to: Ever have a nightmare involving your harp? #162395
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    “I also once had a nightmare in which a pennywhistle I was playing
    turned into a branch of cactus, and then started bleeding (the cactus
    branch, that is…not me).”

    Maybe your subconscious was telling you that it didn’t want to play the
    bleedin’ pennywhistle!?

    in reply to: 2008 NEW YEAR’S HARP RESOLUTIONS #111732
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Hi Vince,

    If you went to the East coast and hopped on I-95 North, it hits the
    Canadian border three miles from my house in Houlton, Maine. Our claims
    to harp fame are that master harp builder Jay Witcher lives here, and
    we think a thirteen member folk harp ensemble in a town of 6,700 people
    is a pretty good ratio!

    I also have to master my facial expressions while playing. My husband
    said that during our last concert it souded great, but then I made a
    face which let him know I had hit a wrong note or missed something
    entirely which he would never have known if I hadn’t done that!

    Oh, we are on a warming trend, by the way, and it is supposed to be 40
    and raining by Monday. Ugh! I’d rather have snow than ice and slush.
    That’s global warming for ya’!

    Leigh

    in reply to: 2008 NEW YEAR’S HARP RESOLUTIONS #111727
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Oh, you are a Cruel Curly!

    There she is frolicing on the beach with her doggy and my doggy is
    refusing to do her business unless I shovel down far enough for her to
    squat! (Snow, that is)! Last night’s temp. was -26°F (-32°C),
    now it is a balmy 15 above (F)! The last two snowstorms (Sunday and
    Tuesday) we got 5.5 inches and 18 inches of snow, so at least there is
    a little insulation!

    Back on topic before I’m accused of hijacking, I am practicing more at home and actually doing
    exercises! I intend to get good enough at reading notes on ledger lines
    (both clefs) so that I don’t have to write them in all the time. The
    same goes for several notes in the bass clef, which I never used until
    this past July. Of course I’m continuing to work on the ‘both hands’
    thing.

    Leigh

    in reply to: Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips #157872
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    I have yet to find an Avon product I can stand the smell of. The worst
    ones I am actually allergic to, so I’ll stick with bag balm and lanolin.

    in reply to: Harp in the Public School Curriculum #86989
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    I grew up in Massachusetts, where beginning in 5th grade we had small
    group lessons on our instrument once a week. We were encouraged to
    continue with private lessons at our parent’s expense once in Jr. High.
    My parents never paid for any lessons beyond the free school lessons in
    5th and 6th grade. In high school, the band met three times a week for
    the last period of the day until 4 or 4:30 pm and 9 am to noon on
    Saturday. I think my parent’s attitude was, “When would you take
    lessons, you’re always in band anyway”!

    in reply to: Salvi Daphne 40 #68909
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    As someone who played flute in school (5th grade through high school)
    so that I could play in the school setting, I wish the public schools
    would include orchestra instruments in their curriculums. I find it
    interesting that students could take violin lessons in elementary
    school, but once in Jr. high, it was band or nothing. I hated marching
    and hated football even more, but was required to attend all games in
    order to be in the band, the only venue for instruments in the school
    system. Our band was very good, and I’m glad I participated, but if a
    harp had been available, that’s where I would have been!

    My two cents,

    Leigh

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 163 total)