harpcolumn

Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

Hi Margaret,

See post #66 on this thread for the address of the manufacturer. I love
    this stuff! Have used it for years even though we don’t have goats any
    more! ;-)
    Leigh

Leigh Griffith
    Participant

Oops, meant to say have started re-using this (haven’t for years) even though we don’t have goats any more.
    My bad….
    Leigh

unknown-user
    Participant

For most of you, you can back up the truck.

Leigh Griffith
    Participant

I have yet to find an Avon product I can stand the smell of. The worst
    ones I am actually allergic to, so I’ll stick with bag balm and lanolin.

unknown-user
    Participant

I used to have this problem but I have had quite a bit of luck using Burt’s Bees Hand Salve- a Farmers Friend. I put it on in the morning and at night when I go to bed.

At times I have also used as a suppliment to the hand salve, Dermans antifungal cream.

L’Occitane shea butter in a can every night at bedtime

unknown-user
    Participant

I found that you can no longer Melrose Cream in any stores, but you can only get it from ordering it on the web @ http://www.melrosecream.com or calling them@ 866-372-4691.

unknown-user
    Participant

My brother and I have had cracking finger tips for the past 4 or 5 years – since turning 50.&NBS; We did not have this problem at anytime in our lives before.

unknown-user
    Participant

I have had psoriasis all my life; The ends of my fingers – crack, split and get really tender;

unknown-user
    Participant

Have’nt heared of thea cream but vinagar is sapposdaly quite good for harpist’s fingers!! I know sounds strange but according to my friend it works!

From G :-)

unknown-user
    Participant

Vinegar is an astringent and will only further dry out your skin. In fact dermatologists recommend you don’t use astringents even on oily skin, as it is far too drying and irritating even then.

And especially if you have dry or sensitive skin, but really anybody, don’t use any lotions or creams with fragrance or perfume! Not even natural or essential oil fragrances – they’re still made up of the same kinds of volatile compounds. Why? Fragrance/perfume is drying and irritating to skin whether or not you have a visible or tactile reaction. It also has a sensitising effect in many people – ie, an irritation reaction that gets worse over time as you use fragranced products. They are often listed on ingredients lists as ‘parfum’. Note that this does not mean you can never wear perfume – a dab on your wrists or neck now and then does not have the same effect as regularly using one or more products that contain fragrance.

But even worse are creams and lotions etc that contain substances like alcohols (ethanol and the like), camphor, menthol (peppermint or other mints), eucalyptus, sandalwood, and so on. These seem like they have a calming effect on irritated skin, but in fact what they do is provide a counter-irritant. Your nerve endings ‘hear’ the reaction to the applied irritant and you stop feeling the original itch or pain, they feel like they’re cancelling each other out or you might feel a ‘cooling’ or ‘tingling’ effect, but in fact you’re just getting a double dose of irritant. Avoid these ingredients like the plague! Men’s aftershaves are among the worst offenders…putting alcohol, menthol, etc on freshly-shaved skin is about the worst thing you can do for it. Also bad are cosmetics and creams that claim the ‘tingling freshness’ you can feel are signs that it’s working.

If you like the mood-enhancing and pleasant mental state that fragrances give, use scented candles, oil burners, pot pourri, etc, where and when you usually perform your ‘toilette’. Your skin will thank you. Here is a good article on how to treat your skin gently.

Specifically for dry cracked skin, try not to soak in water, and after you wash your hands or have a shower, don’t rub harshly with a towel, dab gently, and apply a good moisturiser straight away. There have been some good suggestions made, like using extra-virgin olive oil – very emollient! Here’s another article (also from Paula Begoun) on treating dry hands. (I have no association whatsoever with the site or company, I am just a fan of their products and have found their advice to be consistently good and backed up by actual evidence, not grandiose claims based on unscientific “studies”.)

Sorry this post got a bit long, but we harpists and harpers really need to treat our hands nice!

unknown-user
    Participant

I have had these same cracked fingers for years.

unknown-user
    Participant
    I have read many many replies re cracked/bleeding finger tips.
    There was one thing that I had not tried. Anti-fungal cream!
    I went to the store and picked up a tube of anti-fungal cream
    for a whopping $1.99. I put it on my fingers (all 6 that were
    cracked, put band aids on and rubber gloves on my hands.
    The next morning I took off everything and my cracks were almost
    completely healed. They were probably anywhere between 75 to 96
    percent healed. Also mentioned numerous times was to wash hands
    with MESSAGE KEY MISSING: '2' (dandruff shampoo). I am now doing that as well.
    Believe me this is the best my finger tips have looked in over
    5 months. Try it - see for yourself. Good Luck
    Chris Asmann
    Participant

I’ve always used strong iodine in a dip to toughen my fingertips (to play the bass).

I

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi,

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 123 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Topics