harpcolumn

Nifty gig gadgets…

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Nifty gig gadgets…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Andy on another thread was saying that on gigs when he needs to retune a new string during the gig..he leaves the key on the tuning pin, and puts a rubber band over it to hold it on and stop it falling off and hitting

Well, I just got a nice little clip on, battery light with an electrical attachment to save the batteries. I like it.

barbara-low
    Participant

I really like my fingerless mitts. They’re knit from lace weight cashmere in a lacy pattern, so are a little dressier than regular mitts. Ounce for ounce, cashmere is warmer and softer than wool, so not itchy, and really makes a difference when my hands need help keeping warm.

I keep my tuning key in a leather holster strapped to the back of the harp, and always make sure the key is in it before I put the cover on the harp. Mine’s bright pink. I have 2 other keys, in pastels, but can’t seem to find them….. They’re hiding in the house with my metronome.

I use a Tama Ergo-Rider drummer’s throne with my semi-grand. And I just ordered the double-headed battery operated stand light advertised by Lyon Healy. I hope it’s bright enough.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Ro!

I just bought this light for my music stand:

tony-morosco
    Participant

I use the little rings from Sylvia Woods too. I use blue and red ones to mark the tuning pins on the right side so that when I am tuning I don’t get mixed up as to what pin I should be on.

I also use the yellow and white ones for playing lever harp to mark the levers that need to be flipped in a piece.

Other than that the most useful item I have is the clip for my electronic tuner. In a noisy environment it makes tuning much, much easier.

I have a little leather holder that holds my spare “emergency” T-Style tuning key. It is designed to be able to attached through the sound holes in the back of the harp, but I actually attach it to my music stand. I normally use a long handled tuning key, but I never need to worry about not having a key because there is always one on the back of my music stand.

I have those little “feet” covers for my Manhasset music stand. No worrying about scratching a wood or tiled floor when moving the stand around.

Leigh Griffith
    Participant

Hi Tony,

I use those blue and red and yellow and white rings, too, for the exact
    same things. I also have the clip for the tuner. Everyone in our
    ensemble has one. Tuning in a room with ten other harps kinda makes
    them necessary! I also love the little black plastic shelf that I got
    from Sylvia Woods. It holds my tuner, clip, key and a pencil. I do wish
    it was a little deeper (front to back) as my tuner and my key stick out
    a little and I have knocked them off a couple of times.

Leigh

rod-anderson
    Participant

My harp has vicious metal claws under the back feet – I have no idea why – so I use an old fashioned typist’s rubber keyhole shaped mat with the harp on one end and my stool on the other.

unknown-user
    Participant

Where did you get your fingerless mitts Barbara? I’d love a pair in cashmere!

unknown-user
    Participant

Great tip Rod, I’ve had problems with harps sliding across overly polished floors – and you try and pedal and the harp slides sideways…

Vicious metal claws…hmmmm…that is interesting. Do you think the rubber stopper that goes into it is missing, or is this a Horngacher thing to stop the harp moving at all costs? Still jealous of you with that harp, but they way….(green with envy!) (And how did the Swan Lake go?)

unknown-user
    Participant

Yes, it is very war of the worldish! And its funny, but I have one of the clip ons from L&H, and it is also out of this world death rayish…and last night at a choir rehearsal the gurls were playing with it and doing the death ray sound so you are not the only one that thinks that!

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks Briggs, Tony and Leigh. They are a great idea actually…for students but also when you are retuning a string at a gig and sitting down…

Looks like I’m going to have lots of gadgets in my Chrissy stocking. Love gadgets, they

unknown-user
    Participant

Typo alert….I meant to say……tuning a string while sitting down. I do not stand to attention each time I tweak the tuning!!

barbara-low
    Participant

Hi Rosemary. I knit them myself. They looked so pretty, and I needed something to keep my hands warm. They look like these, but ,ome are in black.

http://www.interweaveknits.com/Galleries/bonus/winter_2006/wineroses.asp

barbara-low
    Participant

Ugh, a typo…. My mitts are black.

barbara-low
    Participant

Rod, my (very old) harp had metals claws under the back feet too. If you get tired of them, they can be replaced. I had mine replaced with the modern metal shoes with rubber inserts, but the bottom of the feet needed to be reshaped to accommodate them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.