column

Nifty gig gadgets…

Home Forums Coffee Break Nifty gig gadgets…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Andy on another thread was saying that on gigs when he needs to retune a new string during the gig..he leaves the key on the tuning pin, and puts a rubber band over it to hold it on and stop it falling off and hitting

Well, I just got a nice little clip on, battery light with an electrical attachment to save the batteries. I like it.

barbara-low
    Participant

I really like my fingerless mitts. They’re knit from lace weight cashmere in a lacy pattern, so are a little dressier than regular mitts. Ounce for ounce, cashmere is warmer and softer than wool, so not itchy, and really makes a difference when my hands need help keeping warm.

I keep my tuning key in a leather holster strapped to the back of the harp, and always make sure the key is in it before I put the cover on the harp. Mine’s bright pink. I have 2 other keys, in pastels, but can’t seem to find them….. They’re hiding in the house with my metronome.

I use a Tama Ergo-Rider drummer’s throne with my semi-grand. And I just ordered the double-headed battery operated stand light advertised by Lyon Healy. I hope it’s bright enough.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Ro!

I just bought this light for my music stand:

tony-morosco

I use the little rings from Sylvia Woods too. I use blue and red ones to mark the tuning pins on the right side so that when I am tuning I don’t get mixed up as to what pin I should be on.

I also use the yellow and white ones for playing lever harp to mark the levers that need to be flipped in a piece.

Other than that the most useful item I have is the clip for my electronic tuner. In a noisy environment it makes tuning much, much easier.

I have a little leather holder that holds my spare “emergency” T-Style tuning key. It is designed to be able to attached through the sound holes in the back of the harp, but I actually attach it to my music stand. I normally use a long handled tuning key, but I never need to worry about not having a key because there is always one on the back of my music stand.

I have those little “feet” covers for my Manhasset music stand. No worrying about scratching a wood or tiled floor when moving the stand around.

Leigh Griffith
    Participant

Hi Tony,

I use those blue and red and yellow and white rings, too, for the exact
    same things. I also have the clip for the tuner. Everyone in our
    ensemble has one. Tuning in a room with ten other harps kinda makes
    them necessary! I also love the little black plastic shelf that I got
    from Sylvia Woods. It holds my tuner, clip, key and a pencil. I do wish
    it was a little deeper (front to back) as my tuner and my key stick out
    a little and I have knocked them off a couple of times.

Leigh

rod-anderson
    Participant

My harp has vicious metal claws under the back feet – I have no idea why – so I use an old fashioned typist’s rubber keyhole shaped mat with the harp on one end and my stool on the other.

unknown-user
    Participant

Where did you get your fingerless mitts Barbara? I’d love a pair in cashmere!

unknown-user
    Participant

Great tip Rod, I’ve had problems with harps sliding across overly polished floors – and you try and pedal and the harp slides sideways…

Vicious metal claws…hmmmm…that is interesting. Do you think the rubber stopper that goes into it is missing, or is this a Horngacher thing to stop the harp moving at all costs? Still jealous of you with that harp, but they way….(green with envy!) (And how did the Swan Lake go?)

unknown-user
    Participant

Yes, it is very war of the worldish! And its funny, but I have one of the clip ons from L&H, and it is also out of this world death rayish…and last night at a choir rehearsal the gurls were playing with it and doing the death ray sound so you are not the only one that thinks that!

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks Briggs, Tony and Leigh. They are a great idea actually…for students but also when you are retuning a string at a gig and sitting down…

Looks like I’m going to have lots of gadgets in my Chrissy stocking. Love gadgets, they

unknown-user
    Participant

Typo alert….I meant to say……tuning a string while sitting down. I do not stand to attention each time I tweak the tuning!!

barbara-low
    Participant

Hi Rosemary. I knit them myself. They looked so pretty, and I needed something to keep my hands warm. They look like these, but ,ome are in black.

http://www.interweaveknits.com/Galleries/bonus/winter_2006/wineroses.asp

barbara-low
    Participant

Ugh, a typo…. My mitts are black.

barbara-low
    Participant

Rod, my (very old) harp had metals claws under the back feet too. If you get tired of them, they can be replaced. I had mine replaced with the modern metal shoes with rubber inserts, but the bottom of the feet needed to be reshaped to accommodate them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.