Leigh Griffith

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Lap harp questions! #161997
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    I have had my Stoney End Eve for 13 years. After 11 years I changed all the strings because someone said I should. Up to that point I had only broken one string. I did not notice any difference in sound quality (and all along people – my teacher included – said the sound was lovely and full for a harp of its size). It has been lots of places, and has some dings to attest to that, but it has been very reliable. Mine has no levers and my larger harp has Camac levers. A friend has the Stoney End Lorraine with Loveland levers and likes the fact that if he has to have them regulated, it is relatively easy and he does it himself.

    I have played mine by sitting it on an overturned bucket in front of me, but the newer ones come with “buttons” to which a strap can be attached.

    Hope this helps,
    Leigh

    in reply to: Happy Thanksgiving #110443
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Thanks, Kay!

    I also hope everyone had a good time with family and/or friends. We got home a short while ago from the home of our son’s in-laws. Now to pack the car for the craft show the next two days. After that’s done we get to finish writing Sunday’s church service! (For which I’m also playing!)

    Good thing I had today to rest up!
    Leigh

    in reply to: Chat #110437
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    I think it would, and it has been mentioned before. I bet every time someone suggests it Kim’s face drains of blood in dread of the monitoring it may require! It would be fun, though, and useful to get some questions answered right away – for those who have them.
    Leigh

    in reply to: re: Harp Therapist #162196
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Hi Saul,

    CEU’s are Continuing Education Units and various professions require that folks take a certain number of units or credits within a certain time limit (for example, some school systems require their teachers to take a minimum number of CEU’s per year).

    Leigh

    in reply to: Just to let you know . . . #108592
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Congratulations!

    in reply to: You Tube #104192
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Hey Ro,

    Email me so I have your addy again! My computer died and I lost everything. I’m back with a new and better machine, but now my house is torn apart with renovations. I’m currently right in front of a window in a narrow space between two unfinished closets with a table saw right behind me. (I have to make sure I don’t back up too quickly!)
    Leigh

    in reply to: need info. on Triplett harps #73144
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Hi Martine,
    Sorry I haven’t replied sooner. My computer did a “meltdown” and I lost everything on it, including the posters and programs for our ensemble’s upcoming concert (May 3)!

    You must be so excited about your harp! Because I am with mine all the time, I haven’t really noticed a change in tone, but just a few days ago one of my emsemble mates commented that my harp was sounding really nice and that it had opened up since I first got it (last July). I play quite a bit, and I’m told that that makes quite a difference in how the sound matures.

    For some pictures of me and my harp:
    http://www.leighcgriffith.com go to the “some of my other interests” page, and http://harpsong.ning.com (click on my name).

    Of course we will expect pictures of yours when it arrives! ;-)

    Leigh

    in reply to: How many gardening harpists out there? #111271
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    (sigh)
    The snowbanks are shrinking. The one behind our house reached about 18 feet this winter and is down to about half that now. Most of the snow in areas that get sun is gone, but where there is shade, there is still snow. We got quite a lot of snow this year (almost 200 inches total snowfall) and I can’t wait to see it go! I did see just the barest tip of the daffodil leaves emerging in my front lawn today!

    Leigh

    in reply to: experience with this harp- #163049
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    I have a 34 string Sierra that I love. I did have the same three strings in a row break a couple times and I just got three new strings from Triplett saying that they had changed those strings, but were now going back to the original strings. So far, I haven’t put them on yet, because the last set is still good. Triplett has been very prompt, courteous, and upfront – a joy to work with. I highly recommend them.
    Leigh
    PS – I’ve been “gone” awhile due to computer problems.

    in reply to: Just to let you know . . . #108581
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Congratulations to the entire family!

    Leigh

    in reply to: need info. on Triplett harps #73142
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Hello Martine,

    Welcome to the harp world! Many harps, Sierra included, when going from 34 to 36 strings, add the strings at the top. Mine goes up to the A and I have only had to use it once. I have never had a piece of music go higher than my harp will go. They both go down to the same C (two octaves below middle C). For this reason, I decided to go with the 34 rather than a 36 string harp.

    I strongly believe in having a full set of strings on hand all the time. When I break one, I have one to put on right away and order its replacement within a week. (That is not to say I have broken a lot of strings, but I did do the dumb thing I said I never would do – I was plucking one string and tightening the one next to it!)

    The people I have emailed and spoken with at the company have always been friendly and courteous. Triplett also has the seven year warranty, just in case!

    I wish you all the best in choosing which harp you want.
    Happy harping!
    Leigh

    in reply to: need info. on Triplett harps #73139
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    I have a 34 string Triplett Sierra in walnut and I love it! I have the
    wheels set into the case and it is very easy to move (I have rehearsals
    2 – 3 times a week). Another member of my ensemble has a 36 string
    Dusty in walnut and she says my harp in its case with the wheels
    is lighter than her harp in its case. I’m short and have a bad back, so
    it is a blessing for me to be able to roll it. When my husband offers
    to move it for me, he just carries the whole thing. The sound is
    different from the Dusty, but not louder/softer. I find the bass
    strings on mine to be a little more “wire” sounding than the Dusty, but
    then, it is only six months old, so not fully developed in sound yet,
    either. I have been told by people listening to the group as a whole
    that they can pick out the sound of my harp, but that its voice blends
    well with the others. Others in this case include Dustys, Witchers, and
    a Stoney End.

    My two cents,

    Leigh

    in reply to: st pat’s weekend gigs-what is everyone doing? #111377
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Both gigs went well, and at the gallery we had two people ask if we had
    a cd they could buy! The answer? Not yet, but we’re thinking about it!

    Leigh

    in reply to: st pat’s weekend gigs-what is everyone doing? #111376
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    The Kindred Harps are going to be playing for a benefit supper on
    Saturday evening. It is to benefit the arts organization I belong to
    and they will be feeding us after we play (we will be in a ‘front’ room
    playing for folks as they arrive and wait in line.) There will be other
    musicians playing later during the meal and dessert. I was planning to
    go anyway, but this way only my hubby has to pay for a $15.00 ticket. I
    know it isn’t being paid much, but for what other organization could I
    volunteer to staff a gallery and bring my harp along to practice
    between customers?

    On Monday we will be playing in the gallery itself for three hours (with breaks as needed) with a donation basket available.

    in reply to: Anyone else having trouble signing in? #163214
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Hmm, testing. I just logged in without a problem. Maybe it is fixed by now?
    Leigh

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 163 total)