harpcolumn

Harp, belly dancer and fire juggler.

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Harp, belly dancer and fire juggler.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hey guys,

Just been booked to play for a ladies 86th birthday party next week, of which I am the opening “act” and have must found out that the act following me is….a belly dancer. They would like me to play in her breaks, as they say, “it matches sooo well, doesn’t it?”

unknown-user
    Participant

Lolita le Danseuse (Marcel Tournier)- challenging to say the least, but perfect.

Harpo would stand, mimic the belly dancer, leer at her, then chase her offstage.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hmmm. I could try that, where is that trench coat and car horn that I had lying about….

There’s also a tune called Salomina, in Pathfinder for harp (Lawrence), that is kind of exotic and slinky…

And I thought I better add (before any one gets upset with me) I have nothing against belly dancers…or fire jugglers…just can’t quite figure where I fit in. And this gurl is not a real traditional dancer, which

catherine-rogers
    Participant

If you have a simple version of the Arab dance from the Nutcracker…

john-strand
    Participant

Robert Maxwell’s arrangement of “Sheherezade” – I have it and could fax it to you although you are getting pretty close to “showtime” –

Your description of the clients sets off warning bells – sounds like money up front and specific playtime in a signed contract would be a good idea – I had a prof once who was also quite the public speaker – he would arrive but not begin until he had been paid in full – he said that unlike selling a “thing” there was no way to “reposses” his time if he was

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Sheherezade is a good suggestion, and Barbara Brundage has a great arrangement in one of her books. My book had two copies of the last page, so check that if you buy it. It confused me at first.

andy-b
    Participant

It’s too bad you don’t already know belly dancing…you could do both and be Curly Wurly the Swirly Gurly! Maybe you need to drap a few scarves and bells around your attire to fit in the mood of the affair! (kidding, of course!)

Andy

unknown-user
    Participant

After I stopped laughing, I had to de-lurk to answer this.

unknown-user
    Participant

There’s actually a classic belly-dance song which would work great on the harp–but it doesn’t seem to have an official name!

rod-anderson
    Participant

John,

Not sure about the historical (hysterical?) accuracy of the event you describe, but I do like the sound of the “serving wenches in those bags with a spout”.

rod-anderson
    Participant

Curly,

You do seem to attract them!

unknown-user
    Participant

Of course, you could always play “Air on a G String”…

Keely

Hi Curly, In Nancy Gustavson’s small harp collection The Magic Road, is a wonderful mid-Eastern piece, Moorish Garden. It’s in English and Australian syllabi lists, intermediate level, and Susana Remenyi of Toronto recorded it on a LP I have, around 1968. Perfect

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Carolyn,

Ha ha ha ha! Duelling dancers….owww that sounds like a worry, the upstaging male stripper. I would have beat a

unknown-user
    Participant

Well, before you think my life more interesting than it is…. I do plenty of boring and/or ordinary gigs, but do not feel the need to gossip about it online. Try to only bring up the more interesting ones that

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.