harpcolumn

Harp pal wanted

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Harp pal wanted

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I am so happy to see that there are so many of us beginners who aren’t children, learning to play the harp.

unknown-user
    Participant

I don’t feel so bad! I’m “only” 56, and got my 30-string (when all the strings are there and/or not broken) harp almost a month ago. I have 2 “a” strings missing, and the bottom G broke because I got too enthusiastic about tuning it.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Magi,

I am 34 and I have had my new harp for about 3 weeks. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing, but I can pick out simple melodies. I have a 22 string

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Am I the only man to play the harp???!!
    Well actually I prefer the South AMerican harp but it is addictive!
    I have a small lap harp I don`t use any more but have a lovely harp I got from Paraguay for only $600.
    I was (and still am)taught by a chap in London who is the best of all teachers (in the most all round way).

I`ll always have a chat to any soul out there who shares a love of this magic instrument…and I love to share my learning with those who are further along the road, or further back too. It doesnt matter.
    Small bits of advice can reap great improvements!
    Regards Andy

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi all.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi:

I’m 42, and I go my Bob Allen “Kells” harp in November. This is my first try at something I’ve always wanted to do!

I played the recorder and the mountain dulcimer for years, but I don’t think I have gotten as much satisfaction with any instrument as I do with my harp. I’m looking forward to putting together a few tunes to perform with my Irish Flute playing husband.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi everyone!

Wow, I’m amazed at the responses here. I’ve also just started learning the harp and I’m so in love with it! I’m from Singapore, currently a music undergrad student in London, UK. I still remember reading in a magazine about a girl in the States learning the harp, and since I love Irish folk music, it has always been my dream to play the harp. I used to be a pianist but then switched over to the french horn as my principal instrument. Thanks to piano and being clasically trained, picking up the harp has been pretty easy so far.

Since harps and harp music (well, sheet music in general) isn’t easy to obtain in Singapore (Patricia from Malaysia, you’re not alone!!), I took the plunge and bought a new lever harp. It’s made by Pilgrim Harps, in Surrey, UK. The only other harp brand I’ve tried is Aoyama. I love my Pilgrim harp, although it’s not cheap it’s so well made and it really sings! The tone is so beautiful… Mine’s gut strung, at concert harp tension and spacing. Pilgrim doesn’t seem very well known outside of UK. Derek Bell of the Chieftains plays on harps made by Pilgrim. =)

Anyway, I’m glad that I found this forum. Just want to wish everyone all the best in harping. Your enthusiasm is really encouraging! =)

Cheers!

unknown-user
    Participant

To all of the harpists out there:
    My name is Sharon (better known as Doc). I love the harp.

unknown-user
    Participant

hi! my name is nick – i think i’m the oldest (59), i played the accordion as a youth, so my left hand isn’t so great.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi!

unknown-user
    Participant

I just found this thread & realized that there were no additions since 2002.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hello Jim, I was curious where you found the Nancy Rae lever harp. Is the store located near Missouri of Illinois?

Thanks

unknown-user
    Participant

I think the nancy Rae harp was found at virginia Harp centers used harp list. :-)

jan-fetty
    Participant

James – Did you buy your Nancy Rae lever harp on the east coast somewhere?

Leigh Griffith
    Participant

Has anyone noticed that James’ post was made 7 1/2 years ago? Is he even still on the list?
    Leigh

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.