column

Our Purpose as Musicians

Home Forums Coffee Break Our Purpose as Musicians

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    j-valentine
    Participant

I found the welcome address applies to all musicians and thought you all would enjoy it too.

http://www.bostonconservatory.edu/music/karl-paulnack-welcome-address

angel-zhao
    Participant

Thank you for sharing that. His words alone almost moved me to tears. I especially like these two quotes:

“Someday at 8 PM someone is going to walk into your concert hall and bring you a mind that is confused, a heart that is overwhelmed, a soul that is weary. Whether they go out whole again will depend partly on how well you do your craft.”

“Being a musician isn’t about dispensing a product.”

I don’t want to hijack the thread, but after reading that, I want to say I’m glad he put things in such a perspective. I often think music could be quite obscure to explain to others, despite they themselves might already enjoy listening to music. Since I was little, I’ve always had some trouble convincing my parents and grandparents that I want to grow up and do art and music for a living. Ironically my parents were the ones who initiated my piano studies, yet they don’t see playing music as much more than “shaping one’s personality”. On the other hand, people are always so glad to have me play background music during family/friend gatherings.

I find music to be a very direct mood changer/enhancer. It really is something that helps one look inward on themselves and “make internal things fit together”, as the author put it. As a musician, it always brightens my day when someone tells me they enjoy listening to my playing. It’s almost like making the world a better place one note at a time.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

That was one of the most moving addresses I’ve ever read. Thank you for sharing it.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

I agree, but as for one’s parents–it isn’t that they don’t value music; they just worry about your being able to make a living.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.