harpcolumn

Sad news for lovers of the Style 17

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Sad news for lovers of the Style 17

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    eliza-morrison
    Participant

I recently heard that L&H is discontinuing this model. I’ve always loved the 17; the carvings are so beautiful, the size is perfect (for me, anyway), and I’ve NEVER played a bad one. I was very saddened by this news. Apparently there isn’t the demand there once was…and I am told it costs almost as much to build a 17 as to build a 23. Any other Style 17 appreciators out there?

carl-swanson
    Participant

it’s unfortunate in a way that harps have traditionally been priced according to their size, when the fact is that the production cost is virtually the same regardless of the size of the instrument. Costs like action plates, linkage, discs and other hardware, column, body, pedestal, and neck construction don’t change at all because 95% of the cost of a harp is the labor involved in building it, and the labor is the same for all size instruments. So a small carved instrument is as expensive to build as a large one. I don’t know of any repair shop or repair facility that charges less to build a new neck or soundboard for a small instrument than for a large one. I certainly don’t.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

I appreciated the 17, particularly for its sound and size.

Will the value of the remaining 17’s owned by the public rise once they are no longer available for order, or will it be commensurate with other semi-grands that are still being manufactured?

Jerusha

catherine-rogers
    Participant

The value of any harp is what people are willing to pay for it, not its scarcity, although that can be a factor for some. The 17 was never a big seller compared to other models, probably because it was the most expensive semi-grand Lyon & Healy made (until they brought back some of the discontinued, early 20th century gilded models in the 1980s), but the soundboard was narrower than a concert grand, so the sound was never as large. I had one I loved for 32 years and it was marvelous from day one, but I finally sold it because it wasn’t being played as it deserved. Why? Because I needed the extra volume of a concert grand in orchestra, and I had a smaller, lighter weight 44-string for casual jobs. If it had weighed less or had a wider soundboard, I probably would have kept it.

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

This is unfortunate.

emma-graham
    Participant

I completely agree. I used to have a 17 gold which I chose because I just found the gold 23 too much! I wish I still had it. I traded it in for a style 11 which is a fabulous harp but I miss the portability and the simple elegance of the 17. Funnily enough I now also have a 23 but in ebony and bronze. It seems I’m a sucker for a stripy pillar!

R.I.P. 17.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Where did you hear this news? There’s nothing that I could find on the Lyon & Healy website, but I’m not the best on searching the internet.

Sherj DeSantis
    Participant

Unfortunately, I can comment on part of this conversation. My Mom passed away

kay-lister

Sherj,

What a touching story!

The loss of such a beautiful design is indeed a sad blow for the harp, as there are so few to begin with. Will new designs ever have such balance of grace and beauty again?

Sherj DeSantis
    Participant

I don’t mind at all Kay. She posted as a man, with a female harp teacher, because she was a widowed senior citizen, and was concerned about her privacy. (Her first teacher was actually a man.) She posted as luc Sherrill. She really did have a slightly deformed finger that didn’t work quite right, and an artificial knee, but she wanted to play and so she did. She named her Prelude “Fantasia”, because she said it would be her fantasy come true if she ever learned to play her.

donna-missigman
    Participant

Well said. And when it’s right, it’s right. Since I’m mentioned in this post I’ll throw in my little tale too. I bought an 85GP. My first pedal harp and it’s lovely. Just the right size with deep, rich sound. Thanks Sherj for finding us both beautiful harps! It seems to me your mother would be very pleased indeed.

eliza-morrison
    Participant

Catherine, I heard the news from Heidi at Harp in LA.
    Sherj, a bronze and ebony 17 sounds stunning. And unique! Enjoy your new harp.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Ebony and bronze 17? Wonderful!

Sylvia
    Participant

Can you show us a picture of it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.