harpcolumn

Choosing wood for lever harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Choosing wood for lever harp

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    phillip-sauerbeck
    Participant

I’d love to hear how everyone would describe the various qualities of various woods used in the construction of the harp body. Are there general rules of thumb? What do you love and why?

I’m weighing options as I look to buy my first lever harp.

Thanks!

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Maple is bright, walnut is mellow, and cherry falls in between. Cherry also deepens to a beautiful color.

Katheryn
    Participant

I have a Dusty Strings lever harp that is made of bubinga wood and I love it. If you want to listen to a sound clip of it on Dusty Strings’ website, go to http://www.dustystrings.com/instrumentbuilding/harps/models/FH36S/tabid/276/Default.aspx. I think the sound isn’t too bright but yet has that sweet, deeply reaching quality to it (I don’t know how else to put it). The only thing I sometimes find annoying is its wight, the bubinga wood is definitely heavier than walnut and other kinds of wood.

Katheryn
    Participant

When I said the sound wasn’t too bright I did not mean that it didn’t sound good. It is slightly more mellow than the brightness of the walnut, for example.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I played a Koa Thormahlen Swan and a Koa Dusty FH 34 last year at Somerset, and they were both gorgeous. I love Koa and Bubinga.

phillip-sauerbeck
    Participant

Is it true that the harder the wood, the more mellow the tone? Or is there any correlation between wood hardness and tone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test

jessica-wolff
    Participant

I always understood the denser the wood, the brighter the sound.

deb-l
    Participant

Harpkat, I am a proud new owner of a bubinga dusty!

diana-lincoln
    Participant

I think the type of strings may have a lot to do with the sound as well… That may be something to talk to the builder about relative to the wood.
    Good luck!

Katheryn
    Participant

Congratulations on your new Dusty!! The sound is just amazing and I won’t want any other kind of lever harp sound.

deb-l
    Participant

thanks Harpkat, it has a very distinctive sound.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies