harpcolumn

Unfinished measure

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Unfinished measure

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    kay-lister

I know that if the first measure in a piece of music does not contain all of the beats, that the last measure completes the count.

unknown-user
    Participant

Although that is technically the rule, you’ll periodically find it ignored. I’ve never heard of anyone intentionally ignoring it, however, so I’d just assume it’s a misprint.

~Sam

carl-swanson
    Participant

How interesting. I never knew that the last measure of a piece, any piece, was supposed to make up the missing beats of the first measure. What’s the point of that? So the last measure is also an incomplete measure?

tony-morosco
    Participant

I think this is one of those rules where it is a rule because it is generally the way it is done, rather than being a hard and fast rule. Outside of classical music I don’t think many people pay too much attention to this rule.

In fact most notation software doesn’t even attempt to force you into this convention as they tend to do with most other conventions.

The reason for

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Crusic and anacrusic. I think it has something to do with that.

Kay, Somewhere Over the Rainbow starts on the beat, but the phrase “Some day I’ll wish….doesn’t start on the beat.

Maybe that’s why your piece was written out as it was. I’m not quite sure what you mean by “leaving the first measure incomplete” Could you describe how many beats are in the first measure?

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Carl, I think the reason may just be the imposing of mathematical values onto music. It makes everything mathematically tidy if all the measures tally up to the time signature. Just my guess.

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

Actually, there is an intro to the original music rarely ever heard. I wonder if that is where the missing beats are located?
    Sid

Probably because over time, many compositions such as songs, would have more verses than one, it would make great sense for

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Nope, sounds like Nash, but it’s Gelett Burgess. He followed up some years later with

Ah yes, I wrote the “Purple Cow.”

I’m sorry now I wrote it.

But I can tell you anyhow,

I’ll kill you if you quote it!

I’m sorry now Iw

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.