Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
jessica-wolff
ParticipantSo would I! And I’d trust a reconditioned old harp before a brand-new one.
jessica-wolff
ParticipantAmazing Grace? Angel Band? You haven’t specified religion, if any.
jessica-wolff
ParticipantAny kind of carpet swallows up some of the sound. OTOH a clay tile floor makes the harp reverberate like mad.
jessica-wolff
ParticipantLOL. Deb, by the time you’re through, you will have played every nonpedal model there is!
jessica-wolff
ParticipantThis is sad news.
jessica-wolff
ParticipantAll my sympathy.
jessica-wolff
Participant33 strings suits me well enough–it’s what I have now. But I prefer a floor harp, so might be more inclined to the larger model.
jessica-wolff
ParticipantPretty!
jessica-wolff
ParticipantThank you on behalf of the harp! (I have the same ebony Troubadour, albeit without the snazzy gold Loveland levers. No, alas, I have the cantankerous original levers.) I love this video too, and I also play “She Moved Through the Fair.”
jessica-wolff
ParticipantI’m playing mainly from the Sylvia Woods book too, but just using the chord symbols for the bass rather than version I or version II. In the past I’ve also used a mixture of I and II.
jessica-wolff
ParticipantI’ll second that!
jessica-wolff
ParticipantI think you should hold out for the Prelude, unless you think you will fall out of love with it (“whatever that may be at the time”).
jessica-wolff
ParticipantJohn Kovac plays a Paraguayan harp. You’ll also notice he plays way high up on the strings. Cecile Corbel plays Celtic harp. People who play folk harp have a range of different techniques. I can only describe Loreena McKennitt’s technique as odd. It looks almost like the way wire-harp players play.
So don’t let it worry you. You can go on playing a more orthodox (pedal harp) style if you so choose.
jessica-wolff
ParticipantThe technique isn’t necessarily the same for small harps. Depends on whether the harp is closer to a pedal harp or more of a folk harp.
jessica-wolff
ParticipantYou are not hearing “Silent Night” as it was first played. I have a book of German folk songs that gives two versions, the original and the one we all know. The original version has more dotted notes and more of a folksy feel, a more dancelike rhythm.
-
AuthorPosts