harpcolumn

What is a Dilling Harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories What is a Dilling Harp?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

It’s John Kovac’s channel, but an Allen [somebody] is playing. Yes, it’s a beautiful-sounding harp!

jessica-wolff
    Participant

What will the range of this harp be?

Denise Krasicki
    Participant

By Donald Rosenberg Plain Dealer Reporter

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Jocelyn Chang, a Cleveland harpist who was a major contributor to new music here and around the world, died of complications of cancer Friday at Hospice of the Western Reserve. She was 59.

The Cleveland Heights resident was a founding member and principal harpist of the Cleveland Chamber Symphony, the Grammy Award-winning professional ensemble devoted to music by 20th-century and living composers.

A tireless advocate for new music, Chang helped commission dozens of works and performed these scores — many expressly for the harp — in Cleveland and at national festivals and conferences. She held workshops on improvisation throughout the United States and Europe, as well as in China.

Chang was also an admired teacher. A graduate of the Cleveland Institute of Music and Cleveland State University, she taught at CSU, Baldwin-Wallace College’s Conservatory of Music, Kent State University, Cuyahoga Community College, the Music Settlement and Beck Center for the Arts.

“I think most students would agree her expectations for them were rather high and challenging to meet,” said Julia Kay Jamieson, a Chang student who is a professional harpist in Illinois.

“She could be tough on her students and we felt it as huge respect. What a compliment to have greatness expected of you. I think that was brave and bold of her as a teacher.”

Chang championed a revolutionary invention, the Dilling harp, for which she commissioned and premiered more than 70 works. She performed in a harp-flute duo with her husband, composer and recording producer Michael Leese.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Thank you, Denise. Such a pity.

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

Hallo Arsalaan,

you might not remember..it is about 30 years ago (maybe more) I was somehow just in the beginning of my harp maker career. I heard of a single action folk

Arsalaan Fay
    Participant

Yes, the music on Erik Berglund’s web page:

http://www.erikberglund.com/ was recorded with a Dilling Single-Action Harp of my manufacture.

Arsalaan Fay
    Participant

The 33 string range of the Dilling Single-Action Harp

Arsalaan Fay
    Participant

Diane:

Charles
    Participant

Arsalaan,

This is very exciting indeed!

Will the second larger model have the same look as the current model?

Charles

Tacye
    Participant

Have you seen that the Fitzwilliam have put photographs of their double action Egan dital harp online?

http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/opac/search/cataloguedetail.html?&priref=77335&_function_=xslt&_limit_=10

diana-day
    Participant

Thanks, Mr. Fay, for the information about the new Dilling harps. I would think the versions with more strings would be really appealing. Do you know when the first harps will be available?

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Pretty!

jessica-wolff
    Participant

33 strings suits me well enough–it’s what I have now. But I prefer a floor harp, so might be more inclined to the larger model.

angel-tx
    Participant

Anyone bought a new Dilling Harp recently? Got pictures, video or audio clips to share?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies