harpcolumn

Christmas Harp Selections

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Christmas Harp Selections

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Mullen
    Participant

Thanks so much for the great suggestions.

Maria Myers
    Participant

Why would you let yourself get so upset over differences of opinion–biting your tongue hard, thinking angry thoughts about other people.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Two things that should never be discussed in mixed company: politics & religion. That is really all I have to add.

Karen

harpglo-jean
    Participant

Ditto! at least that’s what my dad taught me…

deb-l
    Participant

I know this thread went awry, but Carol of the Bells is wicked fun to play on harp, and sounds great too.

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

I’m already planning on Carol of the Bells, although I haven’t finalized my arrangement.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

27 HARPS AND A CELLO Went to a Christmas concert today. Put on by local branch of AHS. 27 harps of all sizes played by 27 harpists of all ages (and a cello). Traditional carols, including some that are not so well known. Not a single “Frosty the Snowman” or “Jingle Bells.”

tony-morosco
    Participant

I think those are all great suggestions. Carol of the Bells is

kreig-kitts

I think “Let All

john-strand
    Participant

How about “Guardian Angels” by Harpo Marx – seems to me it was on a Christmas Album by Mario Lanza many many years ago – I think the melody is interesting instrumentally and also has some nice chord progressions – I’ve been meaning for years to try my hand at making an arrangement that would somehow combine “il est ney” and Salzedo’s fast runs from “la Joyeuse” – also, if you have some strings available for your project, I am always fond of Grandjany’s “Aria in a Classic Style” for any season of the year –
    John

jessica-wolff
    Participant

You are not hearing “Silent Night” as it was first played. I have a book of German folk songs that gives two versions, the original and the one we all know. The original version has more dotted notes and more of a folksy feel, a more dancelike rhythm.

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

I probably should have mentioned that I’ll be recording this on a Celtic harp.

onita-sanders
    Participant

I have been following this post with great interest hoping I too, might see some original suggestions. I wish I had something to offer in terms of the type of songs you are looking for.

harpglo-jean
    Participant

Two “old world” Christmas carols that I love:

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

I’m starting this project for next winter at the earliest.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.