jessica-wolff

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 602 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: gypsy music #148957
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    There are or were recordings of Theodore Bikel and Yul Brynner doing Russian Gypsy music, and I’ve heard of a whole tribe of Gypsies that specializes in the harp. Just how authentic do you think these people are asking for?

    in reply to: Christmas Harp Selections #107098
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    27 HARPS AND A CELLO Went to a Christmas concert today. Put on by local branch of AHS. 27 harps of all sizes played by 27 harpists of all ages (and a cello). Traditional carols, including some that are not so well known. Not a single “Frosty the Snowman” or “Jingle Bells.”

    in reply to: composite vs laminate? #72887
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Cedar is thought to mature more quickly and spruce more slowly, but I have no idea what effect that would have on a half n’ half soundboard.

    in reply to: Happy Thanksgiving! #107310
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I’ve been conscripted into teaching a young child about baking for the occasion, so instead of making something more traditional, I’m making dump cake. For those who don’t know it, you dump a can of pineapple, a can of cherry pie filling,….I’m not usually one to cook out of cans.

    in reply to: Happy Thanksgiving! #107306
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Nice thought. Likewise a Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

    in reply to: Christmas Harp Selections #107083
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I like Mediaeval carols and not so well-known ones–old German carols–advent carols–anything but “Jingle Bells” and other done-to-death modern secular carols. Here are three you don’t hear that often:

    The Boar’s Head Carol

    Maria durch ein Dornwald Ging

    Leise Rieselt der Schnee

    The first is gay, the second is somber, and the third is poetic.

    in reply to: What is a Dilling Harp? #72149
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    What will the range of this harp be?

    in reply to: What is a Dilling Harp? #72148
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    It’s John Kovac’s channel, but an Allen [somebody] is playing. Yes, it’s a beautiful-sounding harp!

    in reply to: How to clean my harp? #72946
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Not Pledge. There’s a special harp polish put out by [Lyon & Healy?] that’s supposed to be good. In a pinch, a guitar polish will do as well. You’re not supposed to use polish too often–that’s to avoid buildup.

    in reply to: adapting piano sheet music for harp #107370
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    My umpteen books include a shape-note hymnal. (Attention: the top line is NOT the melody line!)

    in reply to: adapting piano sheet music for harp #107368
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Why limit it to piano, though? I’ll borrow from any source as long as they have the melody and chord symbols for guitar. Still, I like Saul’s suggestions and want to have a look at the Salzedo/Lawrence book too.

    in reply to: favorite harp Xmas CD? #107398
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Not a favorite Christmas harp CD, but my Christmas/Advent/Liturgical playlist on YouTube. I searched YouTube for my favorite carols and selected my favorite version or versions, several of them with harp accompaniment:

    Es Ist ein Ros’ Entsprungen

    Maria Duch ein Dornwald Ging

    Minuit, Chretiens (O Holy Night)

    O Come, O Come Emmanuel

    Once in Royal David’s City

    The Boar’s Head Carol

    Leise Rieselt der Schnee

    Stille Nacht (Silent Night)

    I have also played or attempted to play all of these myself

    in reply to: do you have a favorite fun song (guilty pleasure) #107258
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Just e-mail me when you’re ready, Deb.

    in reply to: share your music history? #105779
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I started playing guitar in the early ’60s, harp in the late ’70s, and banjo in the mid-’90s. I’m largely self-taught on folk guitar and banjo, but I took lessons on classical guitar and harp. I’ve had long hiatuses of not playing, but always came back to it. I love plucked string instruments above all others (well, duh!) but enjoy the differences between the three. (The banjo, for example, is an inherently cheeky, sassy, in-your-face sort of instrument, and the technique for what’s called clawhammer is as counterintuitive as you can get.)

    In a desert-island sort of scenario, I’d pick the harp.

    in reply to: do you have a favorite fun song (guilty pleasure) #107255
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Well, you made me think about it. I guess that would be “Yerakina,” a Greek song in 7/8 time. But there’s nothing guilty about it. It’s just the first thing I think of playing.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 602 total)