jessica-wolff

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 602 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Handel’s Harp concerto originally for harp AND lute? #106151
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    LOL. Somebody (Dowland?) once said that if a lutenist lived to a certain age, he would have spent 1/3 of that time tuning his lute. If it was Dowland, he wrote for a 7-course lute, which is not such a big deal as the later Baroque lutes.

    I’m curious what kind of harp Handel was writing for. Certainly not a pedal harp, which would not have been available to him. Double or triple harp? I’ve always thought Bach would have written for the harp if a more sophisticated harp had been available. Though he was born the same year as Handel, 1685.

    in reply to: have you ever kissed your harp? #106847
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    No.

    in reply to: Handel’s Harp concerto originally for harp AND lute? #106149
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Yep, that’s my understanding. Oddly enough, it was the (Desmond Dupre, lute; Osian Ellis, harp) recording that I FIRST heard, and I’ve since heard the Satoh/Witsenburg version on YouTube. The concerto works fine for harp alone, but it’s richer with the lute.

    Saul, the lute is a Baroque lute in this case, so it would require quite a bit of time tuning. You don’t want to share the solo honors with a lutenist? Take it up with Handel!

    in reply to: Heartland Harps going all-carbon fiber #72464
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    What a shame! I love that Vesta, but unfortunately it only goes down to the E, two notes too few.

    in reply to: multi instrumentalists – how do you do it? #106829
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Funny thing–I was listening to a CD with some particularly impressive harp playing on it when my daughter said (jokingly?), “You’re never going to play like that, so why bother? Stick to playing banjo on the back porch.”

    I don’t get it. Especially since I play harp better than banjo. (And guitar better than harp; it’s a question of how long I’ve been playing each instrument.) I hope she was just being funny.

    in reply to: Jewish Harp Music #157991
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Actually, I do know of one harp arrangement for “Tumbalalaika,” but it’s a little too simple.

    I forgot to mention
    Yerushalayim shel Zahav (Israeli, Staneslow)

    Interesting too that Sunita shares your liking for both Celtic and Jewish.

    in reply to: Sylvain Blassel plays Goldberg Variations #148799
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Good to hear the enthusiasm for Erards!

    in reply to: Happy New Year!! #106976
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    A late Happy New Year to y’all!

    in reply to: multi instrumentalists – how do you do it? #106825
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    … has made me a better harpist. So true! My three instruments are guitar, harp and banjo. All plucked strings, but all different. Speaking for myself, splitting practice time definitely slows you down, but after all I’m not in a race with some abstract standard.

    Deb, I’m glad you’re not dropping the cello after all.

    in reply to: Jewish Harp Music #157987
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    My vote goes to Sunita Staneslow, because she has arrangements of several of my favorites:

    La rosa enflorece aka Los Bilbilikos (Sephardic)
    Dodi Li (Israeli)
    Erev Shel Shoshanim (Israeli)

    I know of no harp arrangements for the following, but they’d be great:

    La vida do por el raki (Sephardic)
    La serena aka En la mar hay una torre (Sephardic)
    Rumeniya, Rumeniya (Yiddish)
    Tumbalalaika (Yiddish)
    Dona, Dona (Yiddish)

    Most of these are melancholy or poetic, but “La vida do por el raki” and “Rumeniya” are lively.

    in reply to: Happy Holidays #107138
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    The bowed psaltery is what I take along when I have a space problem. I don’t play it otherwise, but then it’s strictly a melody instrument. (Some people add chords by laying the psaltery flat and playing with two bows.) It’s not an early instrument, BTW. It shares only the name with the mediaeval instrument. It was invented by a German music teacher in the twentieth century and it has a zithery sound.

    I can’t afford more than one harp or I would try an ancient Irish/Scottish style harp. It wouldn’t do for my only harp.

    in reply to: How do you store your harp cover? #106963
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    In a suitcase.

    in reply to: Happy Holidays #107134
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    After a fashion I did. I got a CD with the one and only lute and harp version of the Handel B-flat concerto (Desmond Dupre, lute; Osian Ellis, harp) on it. This is so hard to find that many harpists have never heard of it.

    We spent Christmas Eve, which is the big day in our family, with my aunt and her boyfriend, who moved from New York into a retirement home down here a few months ago. My New Beetle is a bit small to be transporting harps, so I brought a bowed psaltery to sing carols with and German baked goods.

    in reply to: Merry Christmas #148811
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    The same!

    in reply to: gypsy music #148961
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    That sounds about right. Especially Klezmer. i have seen some of this music in print, not arranged for harp of course. Well, some Sephardic songs, yes, arranged by Sunita Staneslow; but I wouldn’t say those sound especially “Gypsy.”

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 602 total)