harpcolumn

9 songs in three weeks- yes, it can be done!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists 9 songs in three weeks- yes, it can be done!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Karen Johns
    Participant

Getting ready for Yuletide Wine & Dine in my hometown. Really knuckled down and put fingers to strings and learned nine Christmas carols in three weeks. Just kept playing them over & over. Here is the list of songs I learned (easy level of course!)

Pat-A-Pan

Masters In This Hall

The Angels & The Shepherds

The Holly & The Ivy

The Boars Head Carol

I Saw Three Ships

Deck the Hall

Good King Wenceslas

Silver Bells

Most of these were from Sylvia Woods 50 Christmas Carols. I would assess myself at lower intermediate level as far as playing skill goes, comparing to music I feel comfortable learning. I find that

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

This sounds like me

Karen Johns
    Participant

Wow, and I thought I had the pressure on! LOL I’m doing the easy versions of the Sylvia Woods carols, for the most part, adding some rolled chords and glisses here and there to customize. I love the Coventry Carol too. How many hours a day do you practice? I can only squeeze in an hour before & an hour after work tops. 300 lines of new music? All I can say is “uff-dah”!!

jessica-wolff
    Participant

I’m playing mainly from the Sylvia Woods book too, but just using the chord symbols for the bass rather than version I or version II. In the past I’ve also used a mixture of I and II.

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

I try and do a bit before school, about an hour when I get home and then Mummy usually plays with me if she is not at the hospital

Karen Johns
    Participant

Whew! And three hours later and I’m all done with that mini-concert! Went well, got lots of compliments & tips. It’s so much fun spreading holiday cheer by sharing the beauty of the harp with others. What a wonderful evening :-)

Now, onto some playtime music- I’m thinking to tackle ‘In the Bleak Midwinter’ next, and polish up ‘Arabian Dance/We Three Kings’ medley, both from Sylvia Woods.

Cheers,

Karen

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

In the Bleak Midwinter is my granny’s favourite carol so I know that one.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies