jessica-wolff

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 602 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: 2011 Harp Cars #104062
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I wish someone would make a 3-seater.

    in reply to: Harpist wanted for world music #147199
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I like the way the harp and sitar go together.

    in reply to: classic lever harps as stepping stones to pedals #156875
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Hmm, well, if I ran into a child-size Erard double-action like the one I saw in a museum in Vienna, I might be tempted away from the classic lever harp &c. But I admit I like the slightly easier action of some lever harps. (I’m assuming the Erard I mention also has a slightly easier action.)

    in reply to: Fastest way to learn the Harp? #82989
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    What’s the hurry, anyhow?

    in reply to: The most stupid I’ve felt in quite some time. #105173
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Worse than the naked guy: electric guitar.

    OTOH: you sure can tootle a flute/recorder/whatever!

    in reply to: Learning to play blues on the harp #83100
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    The one mentioned in the very first post.

    in reply to: Granjany / Renie Technique #82946
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I was taught Salzedo and couldn’t understand why some folks were making fun of me for it.

    in reply to: Round back or curve back for 1st harp #71304
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Do you mean curved back or staved back? It’s generally agreed that straight-backed harps project better than round-backed, but staved-backs are OK.

    in reply to: the one that almost got away #105373
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I’ll believe it when I see it (you at the end of your long harp quest).

    in reply to: Question from yet another annoying newbie! #157040
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Huh? 34-string harps have the low C too. So does my 33-string harp.
    I agree that the wood matters more than any decoration. A walnut 36-string Dusty Strings is nowhere near as bright as a maple (and it weighs a bit less too). Which is better? The one you like better.

    in reply to: Learning to play blues on the harp #83097
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Edith, I just bought that book!

    in reply to: other musical influences #147417
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Julian Bream.

    in reply to: World Harp Congress in Vancouver #105388
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Apparently we brought lovely weather with us. Prior to that, Vancouver had been having what locals were calling a “bummer summer”: cold weather. I think it went with us too.

    Comparing with/to the only other WHC I’ve been to (Prague 1999): the biggies were all there, but the smaller European manufacturers were missing. Heartland Harps and Gerharps were there, but R-Harps and Josephus were not. Dusty Strings and Rees were.

    Unlike Prague 1999, where the venues were all over the place, both sides of the river, the venues were pretty centralized. There was a convenient Japadog cart two blocks away (that’s s a hot dog with Japanese fixings) and about as many Starbucks or other coffee places as in Seattle.

    I would have liked to see more lecture/workshops, in particular on antique harps.

    High spots for me: Sylvain Blassel playing Bach; Mariano Gonzalez playing “Pajaro Campana”; Celso Duarte Sr. & Jr.; Maire ni Scathasaigh (sp?); Cristina Braga; and a Dutch group playing blues.

    in reply to: What drew you to playing the harp? #105421
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    As I’ve told elsewhere, it was the sight of two old Irish harps in a common room at college, coupled with the desire to hear what they sounded like, followed by a concert with Susan Reed playing the Irish harp. It was many years before I actually owned or played a harp.

    in reply to: Harp Lever Troubles #157097
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    How old is the harp / are the levers? Over time they come out of true.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 602 total)