harpcolumn

Round back or curve back for 1st harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Round back or curve back for 1st harp

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Hinshaw
    Participant

I have been wanting to learn to play the harp since 1998, and have decided to take the plunge.

I’ve noticed that harps usually have either a straight or curved back. My question is, which type is more comfortable for someone who is rather busty & never played?

I’m looking at the Regency from Music Makers which has the straight back or the Gothic, which has the curved back. I really don’t like the sound of the Gothic, but love the Regency sound.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stephanie

kay-lister

Hi Stephanie,

Curved back is most comfortable for any level player really.

It’s best to try some harps out if possible.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Do you mean curved back or staved back? It’s generally agreed that straight-backed harps project better than round-backed, but staved-backs are OK.

Stephanie Hinshaw
    Participant

I just returned from the local Harps R Us store and found that ‘girls’ & I are more comfortable with the stave back. It seems to provide more room for the ‘girls’ and is more comfortable when I’m playing the strings.

Sadly, the Regency is a flat back harp, so my search will continue.

I’m planning to attend the Southwestern Harp Weekend in October in Asheville, NC to test drive some other Harps.

Thanks for the advice. :-)

diana-lincoln
    Participant

Hi Stephanie!

I can definitely sympathize with your situation. The most comfy harps for me have been Lyon and Healy, Camac and Salvi. They also have the benefit of sounding great (to me). I think your idea of test driving a few is spot on. If you find something you like you might look to

Stephanie Hinshaw
    Participant

After much soul searching, I’ve decided to try my hand at build the Regency from the kit that MusicMakers offers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics

Recent Replies