Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
jessica-wolff
ParticipantWow, a Wurlitzer! Congratulations!
jessica-wolff
ParticipantIt might not be a piece specifically intended for harp.
jessica-wolff
ParticipantI like those hanging file folders somebody mentioned because of the moveable and changeable color-coded labels, but that just covers individual pieces of music. Never solved the problem of book-size music.
jessica-wolff
ParticipantSo, you preferred seamless transition to better harmonics? Was that the reason for the change?
jessica-wolff
ParticipantMy harp has 33 strings and that suits me just fine. As long as it has the low C, and it does.
jessica-wolff
ParticipantGroan. I remember those chords, and that was a version for pedal or lever harp. Loved it anyhow.
jessica-wolff
ParticipantI vote for the Chicago 40. FWIW I like its looks better too.
jessica-wolff
ParticipantI used to go for bright and am beginning to change my mind on that score. I think I like pure, if we’re talking about the same thing.
jessica-wolff
ParticipantI’ve heard of green strings with (purple?) F’s, and I don’t think that would throw me.
jessica-wolff
ParticipantI think a Harpsicle may be too limited for playing at weddings. For hospices and nursing homes, you could as well go flamboyant–purple or green, for example. Why do you think you might be going pro, do you have previous musical experience?
jessica-wolff
ParticipantDon’t know about “fullest,” but the cute little Pilgrim Progress pedal harp (just short of 5′ 00″) has a nice tone. Not just my opinion, but shared by two professionals I overheard.
jessica-wolff
ParticipantSustain.
jessica-wolff
ParticipantAnother guitarist and many of the same reasons. (I also play banjo, but I started that AFTER I began harp, and I usually don’t have much overlap there, though I do on harp/guitar.
That third factor of yours, the “feel” of it, is a major reason. It’s why I may like to hear instruments that aren’t plucked strings but don’t want to play them. It’s something physical and emotional.
Since you quit guitar when you took up the harp, I guess you never had to deal with the fingernail problem. I didn’t quit the guitar and never solved the fingernail problem. (For non-guitarists: I mean you need longish nails on your right hand, or left if you’re left-handed.)
jessica-wolff
ParticipantJerusha, yep, you’re right. I was thinking Floraleda Sacchi but was afraid I was mixing the name up with that of Greta Schacchi. FS played “Moon River” on a pedal harp, but I’m glad to hear that you’re playing it on a lever harp. It was written especially to accommodate Audrey Hepburn’s limited vocal range (which was no more limited than that of most of us average Joes and Jills).
jessica-wolff
ParticipantNothing on the stand, actually, but I’m thinking of “Moon River,” a propos of just having reread BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S and reading a book about the filming of it. (Truman Capote had Marilyn Monroe in mind and was not best pleased at the choice of Audrey Hepburn. Nor was he pleased by the pussyfooting around with the plot.)
Anyway, that reminded me of how wistful and touching Audrey Hepburn was, sitting on the fire escape and singing “Moon River” to the guitar, never mind that she could neither really sing nor play the guitar. Also, there’s a lovely YouTube video of “Moon River” on flute and harp (Floraleda ???? Forget last name).
-
AuthorPosts