jessica-wolff

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 602 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Rennisance #83159
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I have a book edited by Ank Van Campen, MUSIC OF THE XVIth CENTURY FOR CELTIC HARP (there’s also a Dutch title). It contains the usual Siciliana/Spagnoletta, a piece by John Dowland’s son Robert, and Mudarra’s Tiento IX and Fantasia X “que contrahaze la arpa en la manera de Ludovico” (originally written for vihuela, “imitates the harp in the manner of Ludovica”–lotsa chromatics), among other pieces. Copyrighted 1976 Harmonia/Hilversum. No idea whether it’s still in print.

    in reply to: Harp Strings vs Guitar Strings #71535
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    You can get gut strings for guitar too. And Nylgut.

    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    The Legend is going to be a harp without the curved soundboard and with a rounded back. Unlike the other harps Dave makes, this is one intended for people who can’t get used to not leaning the harp back against the shoulder.

    I got to try the carbon-fiber harps at the WHC in Vancouver, and I thought the sound wasn’t quite as good as that of Dave’s wooden harps, though it was still good and the light weight and “indestructibility” are great selling points. It’s also a good-looking harp (the 38-string, not the 36-string, which is an awkward in-betweenish size to my mind). Dave had a book of samples from various car manufacturers, so you can have your harp painted to match your harpmobile. He also had colored whatchmacallits all the way through on one harp, making tuning a heckuva lot easier.

    in reply to: How important are sharping levers? #71521
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I would always go for a full set. And much better levers than the ones I have. The only possible disadvantage I can see is that the more levers, the heavier your harp will be.

    in reply to: L&H Style 12? #71513
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I’ve seen one at the International Harp Museum here in Orlando. It was an old one and very appealing. Also an ad for one at the Michigan Harp Center and another one–Carl Swanson’s, maybe?

    in reply to: William Rees Aberdeen harp reviews #156768
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Heard the Aberdeen being played by Maire ni Scathasaigh at the WHC in Vancouver. It sounded wonderful, whether for its own sake or because of her playing or both.

    in reply to: New Harpo Marx Web Site #105521
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Thanks for telling us about it. I always liked Harpo.

    in reply to: Another “new” harpist says hello to you! #105604
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Anja, my folks are from Berlin, Hamburg and Amrum, but I was born in Meissen (one of those wartime things). Usually I’m more likely to hang around the Mediterranean than Germany, but I have promised my daughter a trip to Germany with special attention to family-related places. Probably late spring next year.

    in reply to: SOME PEOPLE!!!! #105708
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Not only does that woman not belong in the industry, one wonders how she can have lasted for more than one job!

    in reply to: Another “new” harpist says hello to you! #105599
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Congratulations! You will have your hands full with two small children, but it’s good for them to see their mother doing something like playing the harp.

    I’m originally German too, though I’ve been in the U.S. for most of my life. I play guitar, harp and banjo–learned them in that order–with considerable hiatuses in between. I love all three, but if I were limited to just one instrument (God forbid!), it would be the harp.

    in reply to: Jay Witcher harp #70730
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    A picture, a picture.

    in reply to: Ever Have Trouble Changing a String? #157106
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Thank you, thank you, thank you! I’ve ALWAYS had trouble changing strings.

    in reply to: Where can I find a clairseach online? #71843
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Funny-looking? I think they’re beautiful.

    in reply to: Limerick lap harp vs. Fullsicle #70896
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Well put, Michael.

    in reply to: Sandwich? #83263
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I hate both (grape jam and jelly) and would regard this as a serious insult.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 602 total)