harpcolumn

other musical influences

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists other musical influences

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

What musicians (other than harpists) have influenced your style of playing?

Most recently, Wanda Landowska had a profound effect on me (rhythmic expression, touch, style, verve), previously, Alicia de Larrocha (style, perfection, repertoire), Victoria de los Angeles (color, expression, beauty), Artur Rubinstein (power, heart, control, mastery, drama, perfection, presence), Yehudi Menuhin (spirituality).

kay-lister

I would have to say Artur Rubinstein as well.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Saul and Kay,

Your responses are wonderful!

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Julian Bream.

He was (is) an excellent recitalist. I also saw Narciso Yepes as a substitute for Segovia and he was wonderful. In those days, solo recitals were the BOMB.

eliza-morrison
    Participant

Pianist Martha Argerich, for her wonderful combination of crystalline clarity with soulful passion.

adam-b-harris
    Participant

This will probably sound a bit low brow, but Elton John. I play a lot of pop type stuff live and the arpeggiated rhythm fills that he used to use on many of his earlier records seem to transfer to harp well.

eliza-morrison
    Participant

I agree, Adam! His early stuff was lovely…and I remember he used a harp in his ever-popular “Your Song” to good effect.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I had wonderful instruction in both high school and college. My band director, who passed away recently, was fastidious and ultra demanding.

Many of my college teachers taught at both Julliard and my college, so I took several courses with Arthur Christmann and Jack Sacher, voice lessons with Benjamin Wilkes, who could make a crow sing bel canto, and Dorothy Morse.

I have not had a musical experience since, until beginning harp lessons, that could compare to the lessons of those wonderful people.

adam-b-harris
    Participant

Eliza for great use of harp off an early EJ song, check out “Come Down in Time” from the album “Tumbleweed Connection”. Great use of small ensemble and first time I recall hearing a harp used in pop music (granted, harp has been used lots of times before that, its just the first time I had heard and noticed it and thought that it sounded cool).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies