harpcolumn

Learning to play blues on the harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Learning to play blues on the harp

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I like to play several kinds of music on the harp and now I have been started learning to play blues on the harp. I use the book “Learn how to play blues on your harp” from I. Mac Perry. According to the Jazz Harp Foundation this is a good book although it is a pitty that they only use the key of F.

I wonder how many of you play the blues and which method you use(d) to learn it. I have read on the internet that the keys they use the most in blues are C, F, Bb and G. Which key(s) do you use?

In the near future I hope I am able to join blues jam sessions. What is the best way to achieve this goal?

Thanks in advance for all your advice!

Trista Hill
    Spectator

Hi, Edith! I’m part of the Jazz Harp Foundation — so glad you’ve been using the resources!

Your post reminded me of a message that came out from Deborah Henson-Conant in May of this year. She’s putting together a project that specifically addresses playing the blues on the harp. She says:

“…read the blurb below and then go to the link, fill out the questionnaire and submit it — that way (you will) get onto the list for potential volunteers.

I’m writing a series of simple Blues for harp. I need a volunteer research team to help me test the music. I made a form explaining the project & for team applicants. I’d love some folks to test the form itself, whether you play harp or not. To do that, click this link – and let me know if the form is clear, missing anything, etc. (And you can fill it out just for fun if you want) Thanks!

http://joymonteverdi.wufoo.com/forms/harp-research-team-for-blues-project/

Have fun with this!

adam-b-harris
    Participant

If you are interested in sitting in with other players at blues sessions its a good idea to get familiar with playing in E and A because blues is historically a guitar type thing and they like to play in sharp keys. I wouldn’t say F and Bb are a waste of time, particularly if you intend on playing with horn players but best to concentrate on the sharp keys.

Google “open mic night” and “your town/district” hopefully you can find a session near you.

good luck, adam

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Edith, I just bought that book!

Trista, thanks for sending this information. My harp teacher and I have sent the form and we hope we can join the blues harp research team together.

Adam, thank you for these 2 keys. I shall look at these too.

Jessica, I think it’s a nice book with lots of information. For me it’s great I can discuss and try things with the help of my teacher. Please let me know if you have problems reading this book and playing the blues. Together we must have – or find – the answers!

Susan Ottzen
    Participant

Which Blues Harp book were you talking about on the Blues Harp thread?

jessica-wolff
    Participant

The one mentioned in the very first post.

I’s the book “Learn how to play blues on your harp” from I. Mac Perry.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies