HBrock25

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 365 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Etudes #82414
    HBrock25
    Participant

    I had no idea that they did that. I’ve ordered stuff from abroad before
    but I suppose those were too small to have VAT put on them? (completely
    clueless)
    Thankfully I do try to have a bit of extra just incase, you don’t know
    when the prices will change to something else and at the moment I’m just
    using a converter to change dollars into pounds.
    business and
    employments

    in reply to: Replacing eyelets #69586
    HBrock25
    Participant

    I also just purchased a fine Rydecki (custom) 40-string harp. Cracked and misshapen eyelets. In that it needs new strings, I would like to change these eyelets with the nickel ones (great lead!). But I don’t see anyone who carries them.

    Ideas?

    Ron

    HBrock25
    Participant

    Lucile Rosenbloom was married to my uncle Charles. She was the founder of the harp department at the Eastman School of Music. She toured with Toscanini, I believe in the 30’s.

    HBrock25
    Participant

    Hi Bella, I was 62 when I started on harp! I must add though, that I’d learnt piano as a boy, later classical guitar, then folk/country guitar, which I’ve played for over 40 years.
    As others have said, it all depends on how you approach it, & how strong is your commitment.
    I might add that I play with an easy folk technique by ear, which has some advantages over playing by reading the music, though it’s good to learn to read music.
    Before you invest in a harp, may I suggest that you also check out cross strung and Paraguayan harps, as these are often overlooked for some reason.
    Blessings,
    Harper Rod

    in reply to: An open letter to a bridal magazine #144725
    HBrock25
    Participant

    The Knot ran a similar article several years ago about how to save money on your ceremony and LIVE MUSIC was the only suggestion!

    They suggested the DJ route AND then suggested shopping around for student musicians because some advanced middle schoolers were just as good as those expensive adult musicians.

    They also said an electronic keyboard was cheaper then a harp and sounded just as good.

    I was FURIOUS and wrote a letter of complaint and explained that I was PAYING to advertise on their website and they were hurting my business.

    The Knot was totally unsympathetic, refused to let me out of my contract and we had quite the fight. Eventually, I got out of the contract but not without paying for several months I didn’t want.

    However, The Knot is still going strong and I, the lowly harpist am not getting any where near the gigs I was getting when advertising with them.

    I didn’t win in this case other then the satisfaction of complaining.
    Robin Roys

    in reply to: An open letter to a bridal magazine #144717
    HBrock25
    Participant

    David, did you send the open

    in reply to: Harp Rental in Brussels? #146046
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Hi, I realize I’m about a year late for this post, but I live in Brussels and have a Lyon & Healy concert grand which I’m willing to rent out for performances to someone who will take very good care of it. You can always email me at evelynecwhite@gmail.com

    Thanks,
    Evelyne

    in reply to: Alwyn: Naiades-Rehearsal Mark X #146070
    HBrock25
    Participant

    5 before Y, I also play as written.

    in reply to: Charging for gigs #146157
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Thank you Onita – right on!! Really, I wasn’t going to reply, but Saul’s ridiculous remark regarding 4 yrs. not

    in reply to: should the harp be adeguate to one’s ability? #156160
    HBrock25
    Participant

    If you are lucky enough to have the spare cash to spend on a harp, get the very best you can afford which you know will facilitate your development and which will retain its value if you need to sell it later. If you are in Portugal, see if you can get an Easyjet flight over to the Edinburgh Harp Festival in Scotland (usually held in March-April)

    HBrock25
    Participant

    Wow, a six-year-old question still garnering responses.

    I fell in love with the harp when I saw Harpo Marx playing his in the movies.

    in reply to: New harpcolumn.com features #104034
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Hello Angelica!

    I apologize — there is a manual step we have to do at the office to update folks’ customer IDs once they subscribe. We left yours out by mistake!

    If you go back to the site now you should be able to download the latest issue without any trouble. Thanks for being a Harp Column subscriber.

    in reply to: Heartland Harps – Pros and Cons #155707
    HBrock25
    Participant
    in reply to: Buying First Harp #155266
    HBrock25
    Participant

    I have a Sharpsicle and I am very happy with it. In your place I would choose a Harpsicle versus a cardboard kit harp, if you can.

    in reply to: Harp Lessons in auckland, New Zealand #156259
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Hi.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 365 total)