harpcolumn

Replacing eyelets

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Replacing eyelets

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    isaac Brooks
    Participant

A few months ago I started noticing that the eyelets/grommets on the soundboard have started getting cracked. Based on seeing my post here, Venus was wonderful and sent me, without charge, a full set of gold-plated eyelets, saying that the climate here (I live in Haifa, on a mountain and next to the sea) was likely eroding the eyelets. I didn’t replace them, because I don’t know how to and I didn’t want to have to remove the strings.

For a while, my harp gave me no problems. Then recently, a string broke, and only a few weeks later, the new string broke again – at the bottom, where it enters the soundboard. I fear the crack in the eyelet is cutting into it.

How do I replace the eyelets? It seems the old one won’t come out. Is there a special tool or way to do it? Does it need to be done by a professional?

Tacye
    Participant

Please contact Venus for the correct instructions for your harp.

jennifer-byrne
    Participant

I have had some of the eyelets (or grommets) in my harp (Triplett Celtic lever) replaced but once they were cracked and then moving into the wood of the harp, it was not something I could do myself.

harp guy
    Participant

If you take your harp to a repair person, make sure that they are qualified and have experience working with harps. At the very least make sure that they are experienced luthiers. I wouldn’t dare take my harp to the local music store (they sell cheap band instruments and rock band gear). Their idea of repair is to bend the parts until they work again (when in fact screws or corks could be adjusted and no harm needed on the instrument itself).

O.O

HBrock25
    Participant

I also just purchased a fine Rydecki (custom) 40-string harp. Cracked and misshapen eyelets. In that it needs new strings, I would like to change these eyelets with the nickel ones (great lead!). But I don’t see anyone who carries them.

Ideas?

Ron

tamara-murphy
    Participant

Hi there!

My William Webster Neo-Irish had all the eyelets completely replaced. Contact Howard Bryan at H. Bryan & Co. Harpmakers In Virginia. If he doesn’t have them, I’ll bet he can help you find them, or advise you on what to use. Good luck.

Tamara

marianlyric
    Participant

I would like to change these eyelets with the nickel ones (great lead!). But I don’t see anyone who carries them.

Nickel-silver-plated soundboard eyelets are sold on the Argent Fox website:
    http://www.argentfox.com/index.php/hardware/harp-soundboard-eyelets

Biagio
    Participant

I agree that it would be best to take this to a harp luthier. Ingeneral…eyelets come in several different sizes and compositions, including stainless steel. On folk harps it is common to use brass.

If they are hard to get out it may be that the builder glued them in with Superglue. A drop of acetone will act as a solvent (aka nail polish remover) but be very careful of the finish.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies