barbara-low

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 229 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Harp Benches #110433
    barbara-low
    Participant

    I had this recommended to me by another harpist after complaining about my harp bench. It’s a TAMA Ergo-Rider Throne with back rest.

    http://tinyurl.com/67lsy8

    It’s ergonomic, doesn’t cut off circulation in your legs and provides back support that can be used even if you’re pedaling. It’s really sturdy, doesn’t make any noise and is adjustable in height. I use it with my semi-grand and concert grand. The seat on mine detaches from the leg support.

    When I purchased my chair the back rest was not available so I had to buy it as an attachment. It’s not necessary, but it really does make playing and practicing more comfortable and with better posture.

    The seat does swivel, but can be tightened down. I haven’t tried locking it down since I don’t mind a bit of swivel.

    I don’t own stock in TAMA, just a happy customer.

    in reply to: Wire harps and sound holes #162131
    barbara-low
    Participant

    You can join without paying anything. Click on “Community.” and register. They won’t ask for anything beyond the normal stuff you give out when joining a forum.

    Uhhh, I was mistaken about the Knots – that’s the name of their woodworking forum. They have a search function.

    in reply to: Wire harps and sound holes #162129
    barbara-low
    Participant

    A really good resource for information is http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/

    They have a community forum (looks like the new discussion is “knots” which you can ask about), subscriptions and other good stuff. In fact, I remember Carl Swanson’s one-off harp being featured in one of their issues.

    in reply to: Concern! #162182
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Saul, I was referring to a total refinish of the body, not a touch up.

    in reply to: Concern! #162180
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Here’s my 2 cents on the subject. Blending finish into existing finish won’t look as good as a total refinish and it is tricky, but the cost to do the latter on a pedal harp would run pretty high. To do it “right,” the harp would have to be taken apart and only a qualified person would know how to do this without damaging the harp or mechanism.

    in reply to: Hawaiian harp music #162530
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Here’s another YouTube video of the Chanson De Mai. It’s the second piece. (The competitors are dressed casually because the judges are behind a screen.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYzHhPG_vqU

    in reply to: What’s your favorite-looking harp? #110708
    barbara-low
    Participant

    I don’t know about Jack’s “Blue”, but HarpsEtc. does have a Louis XV Special, built in the 20’s, that Jack owned. It has Jack’s “famous Peacock finish,” according to the advertisement. “The body is a teal color that changes with the light.”

    It would be fun to see and play.

    in reply to: Salvi Daphne 40 #68912
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Congratulations! Looks like a win-win for everyone.

    in reply to: You Tube #104157
    barbara-low
    Participant
    in reply to: Harp Sighting #111319
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Yes, I saw them too. Three very old gold harps, but oddly, they didn’t sound like harps to me. Maybe it was the recording system used to mic them.

    Anyone else see it? I think they play during the lingerie show.

    in reply to: Pedal noise, normal??? #111364
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Christopher, the slot felt is the white piece your pedal rests on while in the flat position. It’s glued to the harp. That’s what we’re suggesting you make thicker, but it sound like VHC will take good care of you.

    in reply to: Pedal noise, normal??? #111358
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Christopher, you can either replace the pedal slot felt with a thicker one or shorten the pedal rod a bit by half rotations, but the rule of thumb is anything over a full rotation will affect the regulation.

    Hope this helps.

    in reply to: need info. on Triplett harps #73136
    barbara-low
    Participant

    I own a Triplett Eclipse in maple and would say it has a bright, full Celtic sound. I can’t say how it projects in comparison to a Dusty Strings, but when I played for a wedding on a mountain, my family could hear it while hiking on a trail quite a distance from where I was situated. We were all pretty amazed.

    In comparison to a pedal harp with higher tension, I would place the tension at medium. I don’t believe the tension is lighter than a Dusty. The eyelets are equally spaced on the center strip of the soundboard, so the bass strings will feel closer together, which has not been a problem for me.

    in reply to: Camac harp trolley #68558
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Cassandra, which trolley are you talking about?

    in reply to: Salvi vs. Lyon and Healy? #111449
    barbara-low
    Participant

    The Camac Go Go cart should work on a covered harp if the cover has a slot hole where the hook goes into the harp. I don’t think it would work to attach the cart to the harp and then try to put the cover on. Never seen a red one before. Kind of looks nice.

    I think Camac’s website still needs work.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 229 total)