barbara-low

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 229 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Knitting and crochet-ing #109596
    barbara-low
    Participant

    I could practice and play harp for hours and then knit/crochet for hours when I was younger, but now I have to pace myself. If I’ve got a lot of playing to do, I back off on the other stuff to save my hands. Also check the ergonomics of all the other things that involve using your hands – is your mouse and keyboard at a good height, etc. It is nice to get back into knitting and crochet, but you’ll have to get your hands and arms use to doing it again. They may remember all the movements, but the muscles and tendons need to be conditioned gradually or you’ll end up hurting yourself.

    in reply to: Especially useful musical iPhone apps? #109785
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Peterson has made their StroboSoft tuner available for iPhones and iTouch.

    http://www.petersontuners.com/isoftgwlp

    in reply to: sponge in harp??? #160976
    barbara-low
    Participant

    1) it is thought to raise the humidity to acceptable levels
    2) don’t do this, because it doesn’t work

    If the humidity in the room is not high enough, then use a humidifier for the room. You can damage the wood in your harp by putting a wet/damp sponge in the body.

    Get a hygrometer at Radio Shack and use a humidifier that doesn’t put out steam. Keep the humidity between 40%-60%; at the extremes 30%-70%.

    in reply to: Diagram for Pedals??? #110026
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Here’s the correct link to HarpTech’s website

    http://www.harptech.com/Articles/Atricles.html

    and to the article that has some nice diagrams

    http://www.harptech.com/Articles/BrokenRod/BrokenRod.html

    in reply to: 44 Strings Extended or 46 String Straight? #75010
    barbara-low
    Participant

    I would recommend your daughter play the harps you are considering and let her pick the one she enjoys playing the most. They will all respond differently to her touch and technique. That being said, I’d personally go for the Clio extended board. It’ll look more substantial with the extensions if she does eventually play for the public. If she goes further in her pursuits with the harp, it will be a good gigging instrument because of the light weight while her concert grand stays safe at home. Again, this is just my opinion.

    in reply to: Dodgy String #161447
    barbara-low
    Participant

    No, I don’t think it’s a ploy to get more money out of us. Strings do age and they take a beating from our fingers and from the levers or disks pinching them. They will develop thin spots from our fingers and dents at the mechanism which in turn alters the way they vibrate and sound. Bass wires do seem to get dull pretty quickly, which will affect the overall sound of the harp – overtones and all that kind of stuff. This is my opinion, but with dead strings you could end up overplaying your harp just to get more sound out of it when a new set of strings would have done the job. Of course, YMMV depending on the harp.

    The recommendation is based on keeping the harp at its optimum sound. You can decide from there based on what you hear coming from your harp and what you are using your harp for. Professionals have to keep their instruments in top form so their harps will have a more frequent maintenance schedule than another harpist who plays for others or for their own pleasure. But if that pleasure includes a harp sounding at its best, they will include a new set of strings every 2 or so years along with a regulation since the neck and board are changing as the harp ages.

    in reply to: tuning #161785
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Yes, it seems it is strung wrong. #6 should be an E, #7 D, #8 C and on down to the F.

    in reply to: Is the Camac harp trolley any good? #161887
    barbara-low
    Participant

    No, I would detach the trolley before putting it in the car.

    Also, it may be easier to have the hook thing positioned inside the harp (or at least heading in the right direction) as you slide the tray under the feet. When everything is connected correctly, tighten down the hook thing.

    in reply to: Is the Camac harp trolley any good? #161885
    barbara-low
    Participant

    If you are going to be moving your harp, it is a good idea to get the transport cover. It does a good job protecting your harp, and is worth the added expense which is really small compared to what you are paying to purchase a harp.

    I’ve never liked moving harps on dollies because I never feel like I had a really secure hold on the instrument. I always held onto the harp when moving them.

    I like the Camac trolley, and it can be used with the covers Camac makes.

    in reply to: Fluorocarbon Strings #161965
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Michaela, do a search within this forum on these strings. There’s been a lot of discussion regarding them.

    in reply to: Guitar Chords Chart #104963
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Ohhh, that pda program sounds like a nice tool to have.

    My teenaged son is showing an interest in guitar. Not the harp, unfortunately, and it could be just a passing interest, but at least he’s doing something in music.

    in reply to: Guitar Chords Chart #104961
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Yes, there was a misunderstanding. Let’s be friends.

    Though the post was for the guitar, if you substitute harp for guitar and, let’s say for example, pedaling or levering for chord changes and glissandos, then it’s good advice.

    in reply to: Guitar Chords Chart #104957
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Guitar music is published with the tablature written with the grid you’re referring to below the notes written above it on a staff in treble clef. The notes sound an octave lower than written.

    If guitar music is published in the above form, harpists have another resource to turn to besides piano music.

    No, not a savant; she seems pretty normal to me. Awfully smart though, and resourceful. You’d like her.

    I can play both too, but haven’t touched a guitar in a while. I still recognize chords though, and can comp them during a play-along. Parlor tricks add to the enjoyment of all. It’s fun to be able to join in.

    in reply to: Guitar Chords Chart #104955
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Kind of funny that the above got posted here, but it brings up some interesting topics.

    Chords are chords, so any musician who knows how to translate them to their instrument would be able to use them.

    Regarding tabs,my former harp teacher used an arrangement of Faure’s Pelleas and Melisande for guitar and flute written in guitar tablature when performing with her flutist. She read it right off the page, but played it an octave lower than written. It was a version they both preferred.

    I can comp chords, but wouldn’t want to read off of tablature. That new stuff without a staff and notes — forget it. I’d have to write it out.

    in reply to: Tennis Elbow #161975
    barbara-low
    Participant

    I’ve used ice when I’ve overused my muscles. It’ll help take the swelling down. Ask your doctor about the use of ice and heat. Don’t practice after using the ice though. You want your muscles and tendons to be warmed up before playing.

    There’s lots of information on the web about tennis elbow – it’s causes and suggestions for treatment. It seems that both tennis and golfers elbows start with possible overuse or trauma to the fingers and wrist.

    Hope things get better quickly.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 229 total)