Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
barbara-low
ParticipantErin, it’s not customary to tip a harp regulator, but if you feel he or she went the extra mile and you got exemplary service, go ahead and tip.
January 14, 2011 at 9:24 am in reply to: Handel’s Harp concerto originally for harp AND lute? #106157barbara-low
ParticipantI thought it was originally written for organ.
barbara-low
ParticipantRivets aren’t something a harpist would think to bring extra supplies of on a cruise ship!
There’s most likely a machine shop on the ship and a rivet could have been fashioned to make the harp playable for the rest of the cruise. Something to remember if you find yourself in a similar situation.
barbara-low
ParticipantI started on a pedal harp right away. I practiced on the harps owned by the unversity until I was able to purchase my own two years later.
Barbara
barbara-low
ParticipantThe knee block takes a lot of stress and a crack threre would be of concern. It should be looked at by someone who is familiar with structural repairs.
I’m pretty sure the block of wood under the column is supposed to be there and is not a repair.
Before you start stringing the harp with your new strings, be sure they will be long enough for your Pratt. Lever harps have different vibrating lengths and it’s no fun to find out your new string isn’t going to be long enough.
The gap between the knee block and body will probably lessen when the harp is fully strung, and I’m glad you took the pressure off the strings that are currently on the harp. It’s a good idea not to stress the board unevenly. If there’s any bellying, it will appear when all the strings are on and pulled to pitch.
PS: There are arms in the mechanism of a pedal harp, but none on a lever harp. I think the “arm” you are referring to is called the neck. The neck is the curvy part where the tuning pins are.
barbara-low
ParticipantYes, structural epoxy would be my of choice to bond the wood together.
barbara-low
ParticipantWhat a pretty harp, Deb.
Before you string it up, send the pictures you took to Mr. Pratt and ask about the crack in the knee block.
Barbara
barbara-low
ParticipantThat’s a hard question to answer – the interpretations of warmth, bright, etc. are subjective. But it’s always a good idea to keep your harp in tune, play with good tone and play often. You’ll be giving your harp and soundboard the best chance to develop a good tone.
barbara-low
ParticipantYes, the Tush-Cush is wonderful. I’ve taken it with me to restaurants and theatres, and when I’m using someone else’s harp bench.
barbara-low
ParticipantI have pain along my lumbar – the lower portion of the spine below the waist. It doesn’t come from harp playing, but rather from scoliosis, degenerative disc disease and arthritis. The pain can radiate to the hips too. For harp playing, the most comfortable chair for me turned out to be a drummers throne by TAMA, the Ergo Rider. I don’t use it just for harp playing; it really is comfortable.
Hope you find relief from the pain.
barbara-low
ParticipantE-Bay has the print of “Lady with a Harp” for sale here. It would look wonderful in a studio.
barbara-low
ParticipantHi, Lynda. I’m sorry about what’s going on with your hands. Is your doctor recommending surgery?
I would look into therapeutic massage and accupuncture. Somehow I had done something to my right hand thumb and found I couldn’t raise it (thumbs up) to play without considerable discomfort. I also had some dull pain in my wrists. I went to highly recommeneded acupuncturist who massaged my back, shoulders, arms and wrists and applied needles. My thumb is good as new and the wrist pain is a whole lot better. I’m going to continue to go as I have problems with my spine and am trying to avoid surgery.
I also know of a harpist colleague who had difficulty with her 4th finger – can’t remember which hand – but she was playing a lot of 3 finger chords. She went to a physical therapist who worked on her shoulder and after a number of sessions, her 4th finger “worked” again. She hasn’t had any recurrance of the problem, last I heard.
Hope you will be feeling better soon.
Barbara
barbara-low
ParticipantI use a bit of dishwashing soap (like Dawn) too. As long as you wipe with clear water and get it dry again quickly, it works well in cutting the grease.
July 25, 2010 at 7:06 pm in reply to: a favour please if you have an Atlantide and a tape measure… #73656barbara-low
ParticipantJust a suggestion: Why not purchase the Passat, and if the harp doesn’t fit, sell it.
My caution is that even though the wagon may fit a concert grand, the harp model does make a difference. I was able to fit one of my concert grands into a Honda Element, but my other one from a different maker would not fit. It had to be loaded onto its column rather than flat. Through the years, 23’s were manufactured in different heights. Also the geometry is different between the 23 and Atlantide.
The driver’s leg room makes a difference too.
barbara-low
ParticipantHi Ann

It’s true that my interactions have been good with the manufacturers/dealers that I have purchased my harps from and admit that I’ve been fortunate in this regard. This is true, too, for the technicians (factory/certified and independent) that have worked on my harps, but have seen and heard of issues that colleagues and students have had. I’m sorry that that has been Leonard’s and your experience and agree that it’s frustrating trying to get repairs done in both a timely and ethical manner.
I really hope all the issues Leonard, you and others are having to deal with are resolved quickly and to everyone’s satisfaction. Looking forward to hearing good news!
Regards,
Barbara
-
AuthorPosts