harpcolumn

Concern!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Concern!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Liam M
    Participant

Molly

This may be surprising, but I believe a total refinish would be more economical then a spot blend.

barbara-low
    Participant

Here’s my 2 cents on the subject. Blending finish into existing finish won’t look as good as a total refinish and it is tricky, but the cost to do the latter on a pedal harp would run pretty high. To do it “right,” the harp would have to be taken apart and only a qualified person would know how to do this without damaging the harp or mechanism.

I don’t see why it would have to be taken apart, offhand. My friend is an expert refinisher of antiques, and yes, the problem is removing the previous finish and making sure the new finish doesn’t react with the remnants of the old. They have to be of the same or compatible formulation. I think anyone who does museum-quality restorations could do it, if there is one in your area, or a violin-maker, but you may not need to do anything at all. Let it continue to dry, it can take weeks. Wood and finish dry at different rates. If you polish a harp, it takes weeks to fully dry.

barbara-low
    Participant

Saul, I was referring to a total refinish of the body, not a touch up.

Liam M
    Participant

Concur Barbara. Disassembly is required. The problem becomes where the hardware joins with the wood. Dressing that tight area is practically impossible.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies