harpcolumn

Camac harp trolley

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Camac harp trolley

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Does anyone know if you can use the Camac trolley on L&H harps? The one that you just snap onto the bottom of the harp? I thought it looked very handy for just moving across the room or stage…but wonder if it will fit L&H, or only Camac.

Or does anyone know of anything similar that is about?

Cheers.

barbara-low
    Participant

If you mean the Camac Go Go Cart, no, it can’t be used on L&H harps since the L&H’s don’t have the concave part to receive the convex part on the trolley. But you can have it installed.

I use Berger Wheels to roll my harp from place to place. They’re made to clamp onto the back feet of your harp where you then tilt the harp back and roll away. I like them cuz they’re small, light weight, and your hands are on the harp at all times while you’re moving it.

unknown-user
    Participant

Berger wheels? Sound nifty. Did you get them from harp supplier?

Thanks Barbs.

barbara-low
    Participant

Your welcome, Ro. I got mine from the maker, who has since passed away. However, his daughter has continued to make them and Harps Etc. in Walnut Creek, California has them. They were reviewed in the Harp Column about a year (?) ago. Since so many harpists are accustomed to the harp dolly they found using the Berger wheels a little disconcerting, but I personally dislike dollies since the harp is not firmly attached to the plate and can so easily fall off.

P.S. The wheels won’t work for the 7/8 size harps.

unknown-user
    Participant

Sounds good to me! I’ll hunt up Harps etc.

Ta muchly!

unknown-user
    Participant

Hmmmm, I just realised something…my 100 is the older model that does not have back feet, it has a “tray” type area where the feet would have been if

carl-swanson
    Participant

Over the years I’ve seen different types of wheels that snap or clamp onto the back feet or into the pedal slots. This is a very VERY BAD IDEA!!! You’re putting a lot of stress on the rear feet and on the pedestal with this type of device, and there is not much holding the rear feet onto the pedestal or the pedestal onto the harp. The larger harp carts with a tray that the harp sits on may be more bulky and less convenient, but there is almost no chance of the cart damaging the instrument. Get your priorities straight. You are moving an instrument that costs anywhere from $10,000 to $40,000 or more, and you’re willing to do serious damage to it with cheap wheels that are easy to carry around?? Did I undeerstand that correctly?

I am not criticizing the Camac device. I’ve never seen it. It’s entirely possible that it works very well and safely on Camac harps. But I have seen other devices that clamp into two of the pedal slots or onto the rear feet, and on any other make of harp that’s a really bad idea.

barbara-low
    Participant

Carl, I’m in general agreement with you here. The harp is not designed to be moved on its rear feet, despite the fact that most of the transport systems do exactly that.

The back feet are designed to take the weight of the harp, as is the pedal box (pedestal). If you bounce the harp while moving it, you will alter the load the back feet were designed to take whether your mode of transport is a caddy or a Berger Wheel (BW). In both instances, the weight of the harp is focused on the rear feet and the pedal box which are now required to take the dynamic load exerted on them by moving the harp. A large tray would distribute the weight to 4 contact points, however, the majority of the weight will still be on the back feet.

No transport system is fail safe, and the operator’s skills have to be taken into consideration. My preference is that I am able to keep my hands on my harp at all times; something that is not possible with most of the harp caddies out there. Yes, I’m willing to move my $40,000+ harp on them since I have total control over it. I don’t trust gravity and a stap to keep my harp from rocking/tilting over. My priorities are a healthy body and harp, in that order. I see no need to add 30-40 lbs. of extra weight I need to transport to transport my harp. And my harp is a tool that can be repaired or replaced; soft tissue damage is a bear to repair. Remember, “If you have your health, you have everything.”

The BW’s address a need, though they are not perfect either. They do rely on the proper mechanical fastens, both on the harp and on the wheels themselves, to work properly. And the back feet will receive cosmetic wear. Their small size is an added bonus, and I can easily rotate and move my harp in any direction. The comparatively low cost does not reflect on their reliability or materials used in manufacturing them.

The Camac Go Go Cart is based on similar principles as those of the caddies and BW’s; the load is on the rear feet and pedal box. They use a different fastening system that allows the harpist to keep both hands on the harp.

And, Ro, the Go Go Cart has inflatable pneumatic boots and a silver mini skirt. Quite stylish; a Euro Techno look.

barbara-low
    Participant

Ro, your harp has one big rear foot; it’s just not the typical two rear feet configuration found on most harps. Whether the BW’s will work or not will depend upon the shape of the shoes and the proper rubber inserts.

Rock on.

unknown-user
    Participant

I want to adapt a motorized wheel chair to seat a harp.

unknown-user
    Participant

“Get your priorities straight. You are moving an instrument that costs anywhere from $10,000 to $40,000 or more, and you’re willing to do serious damage to it with cheap wheels that are easy to carry around?? Did I undeerstand that correctly?”

Charming!!! As always…

No you did not understand my question correctly…You did not read my post properly.

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks Barbs,

I will talk to the Camac agent about the Go Go cart and also the L&H guy when he is next out. I have not seen the Go Go up close, but I may call a gurl with a Camac and see if I can have a good look. There was a wonderful trolley that they had in the concert hall in (I think) Osaka, that was a tray, fitted to the shape of the base of the harp with wheels on the back. And they used it just to get the harp on and off the stage. Flat surfaces only of course. It was locally made and a really great design…..

That is really all I’m after,

carl-swanson
    Participant

I understood your post perfectly well. You asked about moving the harp with small wheels that attach to the rear feet or the pedestal. It doesn’t matter where you want to use them. They are, under any circumstance, a bad idea.

I have a K-2 harp cart which I love. I use it, without any of the belts(took them off years ago) to move the harp up and down stairs, down long hallways or sidewalks, or simply to reposition the harp in the livingroom. it’s much simpler and quicker than attaching something to the rear feet or the pedestal, and I would guess it weighs about 15 pounds.

unknown-user
    Participant
    Hope you are enjoying arguing the question.

unknown-user
    Participant

If anyone else wants to add anything about the Camac trolley or any other type of trolley, please feel free to share the good and the bad.

Especially busy gigging harpists.

Cheers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies