harpcolumn

Camac harp trolley

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Camac harp trolley

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

I just use one of those standard wooden trolleys. I got it when I bought my

barbara-low
    Participant

Hey Ro, from your description, maybe the Primo by Muzzace is what you saw in Japan. http://www.muzzace.com/mainpage.html It’s just like all the others as far as placing stress on the back feet and pedal box, but at least you get to hold onto your harp with both hands.

Now, if the caddy you saw had a telescoping rod that attached to a back sound hole, that was the Go Go Cart. Joel Garnier, Camac’s founder, brought it to an AHS Harp Conference to show it off. I don’t know if a harp can be moved without engaging that rod.

That tilting tray on your trolley sounds like it works really well. I never liked the interface I’ve seen on others.

I actually use to move my harp on what looked like a skeleton of a harp crate, made of aluminium, wood and foam padding. I had to lift my harp onto it, just like putting a harp into its wooden crate. Then it got strapped in and off we’d roll with the harp standing upright on a wooden platform with 4 wheels below. Wheels attached to the back railings allowed for flat loading into a van. That too had it’s pluses and minuses, but at least it didn’t stress the back feet or pedestal.

I don’t offer advice as much as provide information so that people can make informed choices. I told you about the BW’s since they’re convenient, others have used them with no ill effects and you asked for suggestions. I know you’re a smart girl and can make good decisions based on what is right for you.

barbara-low
    Participant

We’re in agreement about not having anything attach to the pedestal but anything that shifts the weight back onto the rear feet, as both the cart and wheels do, will stress the rear feet and the pedestal.

Is that the bad idea you’re referring to?

Glad the K-2 works for you and that it’s lighter than I thought. Just so’s ya know, I do recommend a cart when it fits the user’s purposes.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Barbara- I know that most of the carts have the harp sitting entirely on the rear feet, but I don’t think that stresses the feet and the pedestal the way something that clips onto the rear feet or pedestal does. For one thing, the gadget that I saw that clips onto the pedestal had small wheels which are going to be more prone to snagging on carpet, jumping on doorsills, etc. But the most important difference is that, with a cart that the harp is sitting on, you are pulling the cart, not the harp. With those small clip on wheels, you’re pulling the harp and that alone will stress the pedestal and rear feet more. There are only 4 bolts holding the pedestal onto the base of the instrument, and under the best of circumstances the bushing they are screwed into can get loose and pull out. And there are only three screws holding each of the rear feet onto the harp.

In my 30+ years of repairing harps, I have seen people move their harps frequently(4 or 5 times a week or more) with insufficient covers on the instrument, and the result is a lot of cosmetic damage that is difficult and expensive to repair. I have seen people do the same thing with gold harps, and they’ve often said to me that they want the dings and scrapes repaired. They are then horrified at how much it will cost to do the repairs. In both cases, using a column cover and base cover would have eliminated almost all of the damage, but they didn’t want to spend the money or take the extra 3 minutes or so to put all of that stuff on.

I have seen many MANY harpists not bother to humidify the instrument during the winter months, probably because they were too cheap to buy a humidifier and too lazy to go out and get one. The result is baseframes pulling out of the harp, checking and crazing of the finish and soundboard, and premature aging of the instrument. So please forgive me if I sound strident when someone puts up a post about something that will in all likelyhood damage the harp. When I said that you should set your priorities, I meant that you should put your health and safety and that of your harp first. After spending all that money for the harp, don’t get cheap by not using the proper accessories(humidifier, base cover, column cover, proper cart, etc.) because you deam them too expensive or too much of a bother.

unknown-user
    Participant

Yes, my trolley is somewhat special…I have not seen another like it since I bought mine ( 20 years ago!). I think a harpists dad designed it but I’m not sure. Others

unknown-user
    Participant

Actually, I got out the photo of the one in Osaka (yes, I took a photo of it…) and it is not the same as the Primo. Similar, but not quite the same design. I’ll try and scan it and load it on the column..if I can remember how to do that….

barbara-low
    Participant

Yes, you are correct over the additional stress placed on the pedestal and feet from pulling on the body, so the issue lies in whether the harp can take it or not. I don’t know of any instance where carts or wheels were the sole cause for feet or bushings to loosen, though theoretically it could happen. I am aware of a rear foot that fell off a harp prior to playing for President Reagan’s funeral, and even though that harp had been moved by cart, I doubt that was what caused the foot to loosen. My belief is that the stress exerted on the feet and pedal box is not enough to lead to inevitable damage.

Cosmetic damage is always expensive to repair. Yeah, most people don’t realize the time, effort and expertise required in refinishing and gilding. The real killer is to have all that extra protection, and then have someone knock a chair or stand into your harp when it isn’t protected.

I appreciate your concern, but I haven’t cheaped out, nor am I too lazy to protect my harps. My harps have so many accessories and back up parts, I’m running out of places to put them all.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Babs,

Well, you know when one moves a harp around oodles that itself is

barbara-low
    Participant

Hi Ro,

Yes, please do send a pic.

Who would have thought such an innocent request for information would have started all this. But in truth, I’ve heard the frustration of harp technicians crying in the wilderness … “They don’t know how to take care of their harp!!!!”

Maybe we should start another topic on “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” or “things your teacher may not have mentioned…” under the Coffee Break heading.

Barbs

cassandra-taylor
    Participant

I am looking for a harp trolley and would love to get a picture of the trolley you described along with any other pertinent info (where to buy, cost, etc.). Thanks!!

barbara-low
    Participant

Cassandra, which trolley are you talking about?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.