barbara-low

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 229 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: My new harp!!! #111501
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Christopher, my fabric bandage suggestion was for practicing only, and you should probably remove it when not playing so that any callous you might have won’t soften from moisture buildup. I liked the surgical tape and krazy glue idea.

    in reply to: My new harp!!! #111494
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Congratulations on your new harp!

    You might try bandaging your sore finger with a flexible fabric adhesive bandage, trimmed very close to your finger so that no edges catch the strings. I tear out the center pad. You can try wrapping it around your finger, but I like to wrap it over my finger, being sure I can still flex my joint.

    It’ll sound really different and be more slippery, but will save your finger from more friction and hopefully heal some before you have to perform.

    in reply to: How often to regulate? #163282
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Diane, Mike Lewis will be in Spokane some time this spring. You can contact him at harptech@harptech.com

    in reply to: Worst/ Strangest Wedding Request #111530
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Well, this is more unusual rather than worst, strange or bad, but I was asked by friends to play Debussy’s Sacred and Profane Dances as a prelude to their wedding. I had recently performed it so my string quartet and I were prepared.

    During the reception we played Viennese waltzes. That was a lot of fun.

    in reply to: Awesome idea – check this out #163290
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Oops, only needs one 2mm hole drilled.

    in reply to: Salvi vs. Lyon and Healy? #111410
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Back in the 70’s when I got my first harp, both L&H and Salvi did not offer a price guarantee when you placed a deposit. As I recall, L&H didn’t require a deposit, but Salvi did. Don’t know what their policy is now.

    in reply to: Awesome idea – check this out #163288
    barbara-low
    Participant

    If you go to the author’s bio page, she talks about the pedal indicator thing. To attached it to the harp, it requires 2 small holes drilled through the baseboard, and it can be removed.

    I can see that this could be useful if the person playing is a visual learner, really likes gadgets, and wants to add another layer of crash and burn protection, but whether the unit really “saves” your performance or not, I don’t know.

    Still, very inventive.

    in reply to: Humidifier #163327
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Carl, try http://www.mcmaster.com/
    McMaster Carr has all kinds of drive belts, and hopefully they will have a match for what you need. Just type in drive belts in the “find products” window.

    in reply to: How often to regulate? #163280
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Generally, if you are playing professionally full time and your harp gets used a lot, you’d have it regulated at least once a year. If you’re a semi-professional, then every 1-2 years, if you play for yourself then every 3 years.

    Enchanted Harp in Puyallup, WA arranges regulations for their harp community.

    in reply to: Humidifier #163321
    barbara-low
    Participant

    If it were me, I wouldn’t put a Dampit in my harp. I’ve seen pictures of a harp damaged by one – it ruined the base and the body shell, so I’d be cautious about putting anything damp/wet inside your harp. Plus it will only humidify the body chamber while the rest of the harp receives no benefit. 42% room humidity is acceptable, though on the low end of the target range of 40%-60%, with the outer limits ranging from 30%-70%.

    Hope that eases your mind some.

    in reply to: Salvi vs. Lyon and Healy? #111400
    barbara-low
    Participant

    I’m sure the dealer is as frustrated as you are about your harp being delayed. Are you sure the problem is at the dealer level? There may be delays at the factory level that are beyond anyone’s control. I remember having to wait beyond the estimated time of arrival for my harp, but it was worth the wait.

    The best way to determine the harp for you is to play the different ones out there. Find the one that you and your body likes the best. Also, have someone else play them for you too so that you can compare their sound from further away.

    in reply to: The most idiotic comments at gigs #145745
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Yeah, Janet. You’re right. Where are my balls when I need ’em?! Who needs job security anyway – it’s an illusion.

    Seriously, we’re talking about boundaries. If someone touches my harp with no ill intent, then I allow that trespassing so that I don’t offend my client’s guest. (Wealthy people can be soooo touchy regarding us servant/artist types.) I do have a voice; I will and have gone after people for being butt heads with my instrument. But generally, I cut people a lot of slack cuz they need it.

    in reply to: Harp Lessons in Healdsburg area #86865
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Healdsburg, CA? There’s Michael Rado in Santa Rosa 707-573-8005 and Laura Simpson in Sebastopol 707 829-1450.

    in reply to: The most idiotic comments at gigs #145736
    barbara-low
    Participant

    Mr. Sara, though it doesn’t happen often, people have actually touched and played my harp while I’m playing or standing nearby. They’ll come over and pluck a bass string, or play it while they’re talking to me. Most of the time I inwardly cringe but don’t say anything, but I will say very loudly to children, “Don’t touch” hoping their parents will hear and pull them away.

    When I’m on a break, I cover my harp with a very pretty cover made out of a white, sheer fabric so that you can still see through it a little. It’s like drapery fabric that lets light through. It looks nicer than a regular dust cover which some hotels and restaurants don’t want you to use. (They still want the harp to look nice while you’re away.) If young children are nearby, I go to their parents and tell them that the harp is made to tip, weights about 80 pounds, and that I wouldn’t want their children to get hurt should it fall over. Parents get the idea.

    If you plan to leave your harp at the restaurant, you need to ask the manager for a place to store your harp that will be out of the way and safe. Sometimes you can have it locked away in a small room/large closet that can just be for the harp or it can be placed in someone’s office. Or, if there’s enough room for the trunk to be placed somewhere, you can lock your harp in there.

    in reply to: The most idiotic comments at gigs #145733
    barbara-low
    Participant

    I’ve gotten the comment about the harp covered up looking like a big oven mitt, too! For me the oddest was when someone said I was playing a cello. I’ve had people from other countries ask what the instrument I’m playing is called in English. The most memorable exchange was at a software convention where I was asked to dress in white and wear angel wings while playing harp for a web hosting firm. A guy, with a bit of a leer, asked me if I was a fallen angel. I said, “No, I’m on a mission from God.” and I said it nicely. I think it embarrassed him.

    What I really hate is when people come up and touch, or even play, your harp without asking. That I find to be extremely rude.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 229 total)