unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,846 through 4,860 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Would you believe this?! #167987
    unknown-user
    Participant

    good luck!

    and when it comes to that girl… “Be intolerant of ignorance, but understanding of illiteracy” i dont think she was purposely being ignorant (then again, she might’ve been) so just understand that she has no experience with harps and just say, “have a nice day” and walk away. i know, its hard becuase i usually have the opposite problem with adults (usually men) that offer help me move my harp (also a salvi CG, so obviously its HEAVVVY) down stairs and before i know it, theyre grabbing one end of the dolly before i can say “no.”

    hope this helps

    by the way, i sent the masking tape yesterday!!!!

    in reply to: Find a Harp Teacher #82654
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I have a Celtic Harp (22 Strings-3 octaves) and am desperately seeking a teacher to teach me some basics like technique,plucking and the discipline of instruction. I am 66 years old and would like to learn to play a few songs for my own and friends’ amusement. Any help would be very much appreciated.

    in reply to: 16 yr old guy from sydney aus. Help! #167917
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Id get the ready made. that way you can be sure you’re getting something of “good
    quality”. not meant badly, but that way you can absolutely sure that it’s of good quality.
    but harps to make are really fun. hm. *considers getting one* :-D

    in reply to: Would you believe this?! #167986
    unknown-user
    Participant

    yup mine is a lyon/healy trolley and it has the three wheels on each side. very practical.

    and I’m not going to ballet tomorrow, and this morning I was like “gosh I’m nervous about
    tomorrow!” (note: I’ve been talking about the competition for more than a week now) and
    this girl was like “why? what is there tomorrow”? and she thinks that transporting a harp is
    easier than transporting a christmas tree. well. wish me luck!

    in reply to: Why a harp “method” #89328
    unknown-user
    Participant

    My teacher doesn’t use a “method,” either, and teaches intuitively. She’s big on learning patterns and theory, so that you can ignore the written music for the left hand and just make it up as you go. She says she never plays a piece the same way twice.

    She’s still strict on technique, though, like hand placement and such.

    If you live in Oregon, her name is Jewel, she teaches in Newburg.

    in reply to: Would you believe this?! #167984
    unknown-user
    Participant

    time for healing breathing

    *brrrrrrrreath*

    in reply to: Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips #157802
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Well, well, well, Pat, you got dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips have you. Not to worry, i mean i don’t know much about hand creams and stuff, but there’s this hand cream i use, it’s a “concentrated vitamin E cream” called “Invite Concentrated Vitamin E Cream” and it has huge amount of potential, i mean like i don’t play the harp, but the guitar, and i’ve problems with my finger tips on my left hand, but since i’ve been using this cream, it has started to heal quite nicely.

    It’s surposed to be good for:

    Minor Burns
    Dry cracked skin
    Scar Tissue
    Skin Rashes
    Irritations & Abrasions
    Sunburn
    Stretch Marks
    Helps Protect Against Premature Aging

    Just that i’d i mention what it had listed on the tube, that the cream is good for.

    Hope This Helps

    John Barbagallo.

    in reply to: 16 yr old guy from sydney aus. Help! #167916
    unknown-user
    Participant

    wow! thankyou very much both of you, this is an excellent forum.
    As for the guitar issue, i spoke to this guy who plays the harp in sydney, he played the classical guitar and lute before taking up the harp, he said that i will find it easy to play with my right hand, but the left hand will need to learn some coordination. I really want to be able to play both instruments because i absolutly love the guitar, electric and classical, and i love harp music.

    The harps in http://www.lyonhealy.com are, (quite unfortunatly!), out of my price range. i did some research and found a maufacturer in Sydney, who sell harp kits (30 stringed) for AUD$1000 with is about $700US. are these advisable? they also sell ready made harps for a bit extra, would this be a better option?

    in reply to: 16 yr old guy from sydney aus. Help! #167914
    unknown-user
    Participant

    First off, congratulations on choosing to learn the harp! It’s a wonderful instrument to
    play!
    Maybe you should look in the internet for something in Sydney-I’m sure there are harp
    teachers there. I would not really recommend using a book, even though you could
    probably control what you are doing well enough, it’s not the same as having a teacher to
    show you.
    I don’t know if having played the guitar will help with finger technique, but if you’ve played
    it for 5 years then at least you can most likely read music very well!
    There are lots of different kinds of harps; we’ll start with the simple ones(I’m only
    mentioning the three kinds I’ve already played on) -they’re orginated in germany/austria
    (where I’m from!) and it’s with simple lever/pedals. You can only put the 7 pedals down
    once, instead of twice. (1 pedal for each note of the scale) Then you can get semi-grands,
    which already have the double-pedal system, but are smaller in size and reasonably
    priced. Oh and I should mention on a tirolean harp the repetoire is quite limited. And last
    but not least the concert grnads. wonderful isntruments, rich in sound and the full power
    of w fully-fledged instrument. (ha that must have sounded dumb!) The last thing you
    should know are the different brands-but that’s a lesser problem. You can have look on
    http://www.lyonhealy.com for a nice selection of good harps. But for a CG one does have to pay a
    pretty penny.
    Well anyways, these are my 2 cents, I hope it helped some!
    Katrina

    in reply to: SALZEDO HARP SEARCHER!!! #167989
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Try Lyon & Healy West in SLC, Utah. They always have at least one in stock. Of course, L&H Chicago would probably be a better place to check, but just go with whatever is closer to you. Good luck, Laura!

    in reply to: Learning to play harp #167998
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hello, I am 16 and I have played violin for about 5 years now. In the orchestra at my school we just learned that we are getting a harp for next year, I was wondering if playing the violin so long will help with learning how to play since they said that they are going to have a private teacher come up to help someone learn how to play and everything.

    in reply to: Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips #157801
    unknown-user
    Participant

    It has been great to find this page.

    in reply to: Linda Rice #163477
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I’m trying to find Linda Sue Rice. Her birthday is on 11/22/58. Could you please respond back to us if this is the same Linda Rice you are refering too? Thanks in advance for your help..

    Tricia

    in reply to: Arpistas Latinos! #166298
    unknown-user
    Participant

    HOLA A TODOS YO SOY DE MONTERREY MEXICO Y LOS FELICITO A TODOS (AS)
    POR TOCAR ESTE INSTRUMENTO TAN BELLO Q NO CUALQUIERA TOCA.
    EL ARPA TIENE SUAVES MELODIAS DIVINAS(ANGELICAS) QUE SE UTILIZAN
    PARA DAR GLORIA A DIOS Y EL ESCUCHAR SU SUAVE MELODIA SE ME VIENE A
    LA MENTE ESE DIA EN QUE TODO OJO VERA A DIOS.
    YO NO TOCO EL ARPA PERO ME GUSTARIA APRENDER A TOCAR TENGO UN ARPA
    CELTA Y SI ALGUIEN ES DE MEXICO QUISIERA QUE ME DIJERA DONDE PUEDO APRENDER POR AKA EN MONTERREY.
    NUEVAMENTE LOS FELICITO Y FUSIONEN SUS BELLOS DEDOS CON ESAS MARAVILLOSAS CUERDAS MAGICAS PARA LA GLORIA DE DIOS.
    DIOS LOS BENDIGA A TODOS BYE.

    unknown-user
    Participant

    I teach celtic harp, and I use improvisation alot, especially with children. I find it helps them to relax and enjoy the instrument more. As a framework for the improvisations I use stories and games where they get to create a musical motive for a character, etc. I am writing a book about this for harp teachers which includes worksheets, and I hope this will be finished some time in the next ten years! When I practice myself, improvisation plays a very big role, and 90 percent of what I play are my own compositions, which always come out of improvisation.

Viewing 15 posts - 4,846 through 4,860 (of 5,570 total)