harpcolumn

Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I suffered from dry splitting fingertips on my thumbs and forefinger on my right hand only.

unknown-user
    Participant

I have tried everything that you all recommended, nothing ever worked until I used a product called Melrose, I found it at Walmart. It worked great I applied it every night, and once iin awhile during the day and the splits went away.

unknown-user
    Participant

In response to the lady who asked about Melrose Cream. I have also been using it and bought a case from Wal Mart about 2 years ago at 99 cents a jar. I haven’t been able to find it there anymore either. I just came from their web site and they want $7 per jar although it’s cheaper by the case, like $3.50. I had called the company before buying the case at Wal Mart and they only wanted $2.50 a jar. I will keep checking and searching for a better price. Will report info when I get it.

unknown-user
    Participant

I just read all the emails on this site about cracking fingertips. I can barely type this because mine are so sore. I go through tubes of ointments and boxes of bandaids quicker than the red cross and started wondering if maybe I had diabetes.My dad died from it in September. I had my blood checked and thankfully, it was negative.

unknown-user
    Participant

I use a product by the Super Salve co. in Mogollon, New Mexico.

unknown-user
    Participant

I’m a professional bassist, and have suffered chronic skin cracking on my fingertips for some years….often just before a very important call.

Zim’s worked in the short time, but wasn’t a solution.
    Someone here suggested NU-skin, but it peels off same day.

I found some (nail hardening) stuff called Hard As Nails which I brush onto the skin, and it gets me through a performance.
    I’m now at the superglue stage.

My sympathies with all sufferers…please keep those hints coming!
    JG

unknown-user
    Participant

I truly feel your pain!

unknown-user
    Participant

It has been great to find this page.

unknown-user
    Participant

Well, well, well, Pat, you got dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips have you. Not to worry, i mean i don’t know much about hand creams and stuff, but there’s this hand cream i use, it’s a “concentrated vitamin E cream” called “Invite Concentrated Vitamin E Cream” and it has huge amount of potential, i mean like i don’t play the harp, but the guitar, and i’ve problems with my finger tips on my left hand, but since i’ve been using this cream, it has started to heal quite nicely.

It’s surposed to be good for:

Minor Burns
    Dry cracked skin
    Scar Tissue
    Skin Rashes
    Irritations & Abrasions
    Sunburn
    Stretch Marks
    Helps Protect Against Premature Aging

Just that i’d i mention what it had listed on the tube, that the cream is good for.

Hope This Helps

John Barbagallo.

unknown-user
    Participant

In 2001, I was diagnosed with a form of connective tissue disease called “Polymyositis with Dermatamyositis.” I started exhibiting symptoms at the beginning of my pregnancy and they were very similar to those mentioned on this board…cracking, splitting, bleeding and EXTREMELY painful finger tips.

I’ve tried EVERYTHING from Vaseline and gloves to Vicks, lotions, coritzone creams (scripted as well as OTC) and nothing has worked. I tried the Super Glue when my employer (an orthopaedic surgeon) told me that it would help…and it did, but sometimes, the toughness created by the glue makes my fingers even more sensitive when I touch anything; that didn’t seem to do the trick either.

Once…for about 6 or 7 months…I took a supplement called Lecithin…and in about 2 months, I noticed that my hands were much healthier…I was taking about 2,400 mg gel tabs a day…but after a few more months, the cracking started up again. I have been treated with heavy oral steroid therapy since being diagnosed, and it seems that the only SURE FIRE cure is heavy doses of prednisone…but no doctor is going to prescribe heavy doses of prednisone for cracking skin. The healing was just an unexpected, yet welcomed happenstance…once he started coming down on my prednisone, though…(I’m on 7 mg now) the cracking started up again.

I’ve tried Zim’s and it doesn’t work either…at this point, I would do just about anything to rid myself of the pain…!

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

Are you still taking the Lecithin?

unknown-user
    Participant

Finally people with my problem!

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi everybody, my name is Sindi, well I hear you Pat. Like about 5 years ago when I was 14 my finger tips have been dry, cracky, and PAINFULL!! This has been going on for like about every week since then. It is so emberrasing shaking peoples hands because of the dryness. Even my husband was scared. It started bleeding like this month, and I can barely type this, because it is hurtfull. But I just wanted to tell you that I feel your pain. And thanks everyone that wrote, because I’ve tried almost every lotion, but thanks to you guys, I’ll try your recommendation. Thank you!!!

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi my name is Clinton. I was surfing the net tonight looking for answers for this very problem of cracked dry and bleeding skin when i came across this column. I get dry cracked and bleeding skin on my right hand alot. I was just wandering if anyone has tried a product called gloves in a bottle which according to the website http://www.glovesinabottle.com is supposed to bond with your cracked dry skin when you apply it and form a sort of barrier to help keep your deeper layers of skin from drying out and thus allow a healing process to take place. This stuff does not wash off with detergents apparently and lasts for about 4 hours when you need to re-apply. There’s alot of testimonials on the site about it but i haven’t tried it yet as i just came across the website tonight but i’ve emailed the distributor for my country to see if i can get a hold of some to give it a go. However i was just wandering if anybody contributing to this discussion has used it and if so has some feedback about it. Thanks Clinton.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hello All. My name is Beth and I am not a harpist;>) But the skin on my thumbs, for years, have been cracking, painful and bleeding. I thought at first it was the lighter I used. Nope. I’ve tried many of the things mentioned here, but all I have on hand at the moment is Dr. Scholl’s Pedicure Essentials cracked skin repair cream. Working wonders on the left thumb that is not as bad, and the right thumb is coming along. (I apply and then wrap with waterproof bandage).

Blessings to all and may we find the best cure soon!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 123 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies