unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,576 through 4,590 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Converting Piano Music for Pedal Harp #167789
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Saul,

    Could you please give me the reference to the article in the AHS journal teacher’s forum you referred to above?

    in reply to: ahs competition levels #89250
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Who need the competitions any way!It is never right judging.its good only for an experience of learning a big repertoire by heart.Music is not important there-it’s sport-faster and boring

    in reply to: ahs competition levels #89251
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Id have to strongly disaggree with you, sverdlov. Competitions are not only a good way to get students to practice more, but it gives great soloistic experience which could be invaluable to the student’s performing career, if they so choose to go into the performing feild.

    I aggree with both of you Carl and Saul. I think its a great notion to have the levels judged by experience, but i dont think it would work. I unfortunately can’t relate, since i started when i was 9, but i DEFINETELY see where youre coming from.

    in reply to: Raising? #167739
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Carl, you keep saying you’re not slamming another method, and then you turn around and do it! It’s not becoming to you. If you really don’t understand the Salzedo method after all these years, then I suggest you take some lessons with Emily Halpern Lewis, just so you grasp our concepts and why they work. It will be most enlightening. I’m not saying to change your technique, just to understand ours and stop attacking it.

    in reply to: Converting Piano Music for Pedal Harp #167788
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The ABC of Harp Playing by Lawrence and Salzedo will help you with adapting piano music. Not all music can be adapted. It takes a lot of time and skill. He’s not being very fair, and must not know much about the harp. There are plenty of orchestra parts for harp. Good pieces to start on are by Russian composers like Rimsky-Korsakov, Borodin, Tchaikovsky. I published a list of harp parts arranged by difficulty in the AHS Journal Teacher’s Forum a few years ago. It would be good to give a copy to the conductor.

    in reply to: Salzedo’s Enchanted Isle #167793
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The Enchanted Isle was published by Lyra, and performed beautifully by Prof. Elizabeth Richter at the AHS conference of 2004 in Philadelphia. That performance should be available through the AHS sometime soon. It’s a wonderful piece with a great history. Salzedo made many appearances with it and it made his name professionally.

    in reply to: Harp concerto for competition #167802
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I recommend the Enchanted Isle by Salzedo, the Berezowsky Concerto, the Dussek Concerto, the Tailleferre Concertino, the Saint-Saens Morceau de Concert, the Dohnanyi Concertino, the Virgil Thomson Concertino, the Harry Somers Suite for Harp and Chamber Orchestra, and many others.

    in reply to: Clair de Lune… #167804
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I think you should get the Carlos Salzedo transcription and compare it to the original. It’s very interesting what he did with the left hand, and says something important about what sounds better on the harp. I think it’s the best transcription available, and it’s not expensive. IMS has it, and other dealers should also. It doesn’t have the easiest fingerings, but I have some alternates for the 3rd page if you need, but his can work.

    in reply to: Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips #157812
    unknown-user
    Participant

    My husband has this problem. It started when we begin testing his blood sugar by pricking the fingertips. I have heard of using Tea Tree Oil for this, but I do not know exactly how to use it. Has anyone ever heard of this product being used for this condition?

    I have seen some of your replies and think I will try some of them. He is desperate to find a cure. He is now using Aveeno with 1% hydrocortisone in it. If he applies this to his fingetips three or four times a day it sort of keeps it at bay…but isn’t there a cure for this?

    in reply to: Arpistas Latinos! #166329
    unknown-user
    Participant

    hola a todos…conosco a ivan por via msn, y me gustaria conocer a mas gente por igual manera mi correo es reggie_07@hotmail.com; soy de veracruz pero vivo en guadalajara y toco el arapa diatonica….asi q no creo q les ayude mucho pero me gustaria q me ayudaran en nuestro instrumento…de antemano 1000 grax..por cierto tengo 19 a?os y tengo 3 a?os tocando el arpa y tengo un disco grabado por si quieren oirlo

    in reply to: 10 year old and school orchestra #167813
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I placed my harpist daughter in her elementary school orchestra after she had been playing harp for one year.

    in reply to: looking for a suzuki harp teacher in Montreal #89211
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Any good harp teacher can work with your son. I don’t think there’s anything special or great about the Suzuki method. The Suzuki harp book I picked up was embarrassingly bad. One of the worst beginner harp books I’ve seen.

    in reply to: Student overcommitment–advice? #89216
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Isn’t it an even bigger problem when they’re over-committed to other activities like riding, skating, and have no practice time?

    in reply to: New website to register as a harp teacher #89308
    unknown-user
    Participant

    It seems to me that all these sites want is to take our hard-earned money, and try to monopolize the market on teaching. Do you realize how much money they take in if they can get a few thousand people to pay them $100 a year?! And do they document the responses their teachers get? Probably not. And you’re out the money. I think teachers should be found in traditional, human contact ways, or local advertising. Don’t you? And why aren’t more people making referrals to each other?

    in reply to: Reiki & Healing Harps #89318
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I have 1st-degree reiki training, among others. I once used it for an audition in which I played the Introduction and Allegro (Ravel). They said it had a very nice flow. It helped me learn to connect all the notes. People who attend my recitals have told me they found it healing, and I’ve noticed when singers have it in them. It adds to performance, but it’s not music.

Viewing 15 posts - 4,576 through 4,590 (of 5,570 total)