unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,591 through 4,605 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Harp Teachers in the Central New York area #89324
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Did you contact Ruth Papalia in Cortland, New York? Grace Wong also teaches sometimes in Ithaca.

    in reply to: Why a harp “method” #89330
    unknown-user
    Participant

    There are some good harpists who were self-taught, and a lot who are not good. Osian Ellis is probably the greatest self-taught harpist and his playing is a bit strange. What’s wrong with benefitting from the knowledge of others? Why re-invent the wheel. Besides, playing the harp intuitively would require a very brilliant mind, ’cause, even with our methods, it still takes decades for us to master the instrument. Don’t worry about where the knowledge comes from. It’s the musicality that is intuitive, somewhat. Even that involves learning. It’s not weaving.

    in reply to: counting triplets #89338
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Rhythm is not math. It’s a feeling. You have to feel the pulse in your blood, in your bones. Counting out subdivisions helps with precision, but first, go dancing. Take ballroom, tap, flamenco, folk dance-especially Balkan. When you can dance to rhythms, you’ll be able to play them.

    in reply to: counting triplets #89339
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Saul…How right you are!!!

    in reply to: Are harpists able to make a living by giving lessons? #89344
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Great question! How many of us do? What percent of our income is from teaching? How big of a population does it take to provide enought students? Can you charge as much as a massage costs ($60 per hour)? Are certain types of areas better than others? City or suburbs? How do you manage to live near the wealthy areas? I’d like to hear about this.

    in reply to: Piccolo jokes #108531
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The piccolo is__ a joke.

    in reply to: Arpistas Latinos! #166328
    unknown-user
    Participant

    ?Hola!
    Soy Ignacio Saavedra y vivo en Madrid. Yo tambi?n soy amigo de Iv?n. 🙂 Toco un arpa celta de 34 cuerdas, marca Salvi. Estar? encantado de conocer a m?s arpistas

    in reply to: Horngacher harp #146131
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hello,
    I hope you alredy have a new Horngacher and you are enjoying it.
    I have played on different kind of Horngachers(mostly Orchestra model)
    and I have loved them for their deep warm sound. I also have noticed,
    that there are no big balance problems in the orchestra because Horngachers have big sound and they are bright enough on the high octaves. For me Horngacher is good also because it is not so high as
    Lyon&Healys so it is easier to play in high octaves. There is also
    enough room for the hand.
    I think that a Horngacher harp will also last for a long time, because most of them, that I have played on, were already pretty old.
    In my point of view the only bad thing is the high price of these marvelous harps.
    All the best!
    -Lily

    in reply to: Arpistas Latinos! #166327
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hola!!!

    in reply to: Lever or Pedal??? #167599
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Quoting suzanne humpheries: “Instead of all of us spilling our brains out, i suggest you carefully look over the posts on this entire forum.” theres TONS of information on this site.

    in reply to: Waring Harps…need answers! #68862
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Do they also mix milkshakes? Puree vegetables?

    in reply to: Waring Harps…need answers! #68863
    unknown-user
    Participant

    No blending capabilities, but you can slice hardboiled eggs through the strings.

    in reply to: Whatever happened to Mildred Dilling’s harps? #71917
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi,

    I’m not a harpist, but did a google for Mildred Dilling and turned

    up your site.

    in reply to: Arpistas Latinos! #166326
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hola Jose, me llamo ivan, yo tambien soy de mexico, vivo en Tijuana Baja California y tambien toco arpa, yo no voy al encuentro por que ahorita no estoy en mexico, pero tengo dos amigas que tocan arpa y que si van a ir, betuel es de xalapa veracrus y eya va a tokar el mismo dia que tu, pero no se en donde le voy a decir que se conecte y deje un mensaje, pues que bueno que encontraste este grupo y espero que mas arpistas sigan participando

    in reply to: Prolonging the life of your strings, some comments on my ad #69598
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I would like to point out, which Joel Andrews doesn’t for some reason, that he has very good credentials as a harpist. He studied with Salzedo at the Curtis Institute, taught at the University of Texas for several years and organized a major harp festival there, where Salzedo made his last concert appearances. I heard Joel play in New York in the late ’80s, at a famous psychic bookstore. He plays beautifully, and his improvisations sound a lot like Hovhaness. A lot of arpeggios in dorian mode and such. There were a lot of very needy people in the audience, reaching out with their weaknesses for some help. As a trained healer, I tried to feel some emanation from his music or charisma, and I’m sorry to say I felt none. Gerald Goodman was there next to me. I remember turning to him and saying, “I have more healing in my little finger…” What is most disturbing to me is, of all the creative aspects of Salzedo’s great mind and spirit, to become a California-fried showman-I mean “shaman” huckster–I mean harpist–is to lose my respect. There are healers in the world, and too many equate healing with receiving gold. The fact is, it’s not that effective compared with medicine. Of course, doctors have perfected the art of receiving gold. I think if Joel Andrews got back into being a great harpist he would find more fulfillment and healing ability than he will on the ego plane of existence that is California Culture in my view. I hope he at least gives free healing to the needy part of

Viewing 15 posts - 4,591 through 4,605 (of 5,570 total)