column

New website to register as a harp teacher

Home Forums Teaching the Harp New website to register as a harp teacher

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Zen Sojourner
    Participant

http://www.harpteachers.com/

Lots of people post to several of these BBs looking for a teacher.

unknown-user
    Participant

It seems to me that all these sites want is to take our hard-earned money, and try to monopolize the market on teaching. Do you realize how much money they take in if they can get a few thousand people to pay them $100 a year?! And do they document the responses their teachers get? Probably not. And you’re out the money. I think teachers should be found in traditional, human contact ways, or local advertising. Don’t you? And why aren’t more people making referrals to each other?

mark-andersen
    Participant

I take offense to these sites that want you to pay to register when there are perfectly good

sites suc as the Lyon and Healey http://www.harp.com and the http://www.harpconnection.com which

are respected sites and have their own teacher listings free of charge. I would much rather

see people use these sites than the paid ones.

Best regards,

Mark

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

I’m sorry, but you’ve listed some pretty strange objections to this site.

Firstly, while I didn’t realize they were charging for registration, it doesn’t much surprise me.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

>At $24 a month, its not onerously expensive.

Are you kidding? That’s very, very

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I might have mentioned also that google ranking goes by how you are linked from other

high-ranking sites (except for the ads, of course), so unless other places are linking to this

site, it’s not going to come up at the top of the list anyway.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Sorry, my last post wasn’t clear. That site comes up as a paid ad, not as the first google

listing. I myself never click the ad listings

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

I quote myself:

“Secondly, they’re asking for less than $2 a month to list one’s self as a teacher. That’s less than $24 a year.”

“$24 a month” was a typo.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification. There is a paid ad slot (the most expensive) at the top,

though, FWIW. The side ads are usually more general–google your name and you’ll see

“get best deals on zen sojourner” or “find zen sojourner on ebay.com”. The top slot is

tailored to the search terms, and that’s what they have.

If you think it’s worth paying to get a link from there, well, that’s anyone’s personal

decision. On Mac browsers it has a colored bar behind it to differentiate it from search

results. I don’t let my windows computer online

so I can’t say how it looks in IE for pc.

$24 a year is a lot more reasonable, but I personally wouldn’t do it. Chacun a son gout.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.