Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
unknown-user
ParticipantThanks Diane and Andy…yep, looks like I better hunt out the Chason dans la nuit!
unknown-user
ParticipantThanks Tony! I have some arrangements of O’Carolan by Derek Bell that are rather wonderful. And I will add the Farewell to Music to my program. I’m not just going to play classical music, either. So I’m glad you suggested that.
I think I will stick to pedal harp… but maybe I should take my “the quirky” (my light strung folk harp) along and do a bracket of O’Carolan tunes…now that’s an idea!
unknown-user
ParticipantThat’s a great thread! What a laugh.. I had to think for a while what a luau was…but when I realised some of those posts are hysterical!
And yes, tasteful and dignified it best…as everyones tastes and ideas vary so much…Actually I agree
unknown-user
ParticipantGreetings 8 dogs…
I learnt the movable “doh”, and yes, it bends your brain but it is quite good for transposition. And my teacher was very fond of making me transpose at sight. But I will investigate fixed doh for mere mortals. Also, I’m still hunting
unknown-user
ParticipantAt Sommerset 2 years ago the Muma harp ranked high in sound quality for me during the small harp tasting.
unknown-user
ParticipantYep, kindred spirits again! I had to sing solfege alot when I studied with my first harp teacher….Glad you mentioned it as I really need to brush up on it and teach it to my students….
Cheers,
Six dog woman….
unknown-user
ParticipantPlease pass on my condolences to Beth. There is nothing harder than losing a child and not having your husband near by.
And really, what she said was not that bad…. I think everyone over reacted and I must admit that I was more uncomfortable with the moralistic tirade that ensued than her slightly crabby comments.
Please do pass on my
unknown-user
ParticipantFor complicated pedalling also try saying the names of the pedal changes aloud while practising slowly (B natural, C sharp etc.). This is not only a good way to perfect the pedalling but also reduces your dependency on muscle memory, which I have found can be very dangerous!
I also find that resting you feet on the ground(ie. not on the pedals)
unknown-user
ParticipantThanks again All. And thanks for the internet link… Yea it is really amaizing what you can find on the cyberworld…
I am progresing a little slow on my composition but it will be done soon… Also i have a problem with my computer so i don;t know when i will be on the net but if you have something interesting and halpfull send on my mail!!!
Thanks!
unknown-user
ParticipantI am a flutist who plays with Beth. She is an outstanding harpist, and usually a kind, generous and helpful person. She was incredibly hurt by all the ugly comments directed at her. I personally think she was way out of line with her comments, and I told her so.
But I thought you all would like to know that she probably won’t be reading this forum anymore, let alone posting anything to it. Yes, she was having a bad day – she recently lost a baby and her husband is overseas. And to top it off,
unknown-user
ParticipantI had a bride who wanted the Princess Bride Theme for her processional a few years ago and couldn’t find the music either. I bought the video so I could learn the piece
unknown-user
ParticipantThis below works for me.
Tea Tree Oil .
unknown-user
ParticipantHas anyone here tried Roger Muma’s 25-string lap harp in particular? How do they compare with the Dusty Strings harps of a similar size? I’m particularly interested in tone quality.
unknown-user
ParticipantHi Lisa,
Yes, its an important topic and I’m glad that you posted it! As so many of us amateur and professional struggle with it.
I’m glad that you concert at the senior community went well, I’m sure it gave alot to them.
I know what you mean about worrying during your piece, giving a running commentary correcting your own mistakes..I’ve done it myself….And my theory about why a piece starts okay is that one is only thinking about what you have to do to begin. As time goes on, you start jumbling your brain up with what you have just done and what you did wrong, and it becomes harder to concentrate on what you then have to do….
I have finally pretty well trained myself out of it, by deliberately looking forward to the next section while I play and forcing myself to change that internal dialogue to being about the next bit….I will look at the next bar and prepare in my mind the jump to that section, I will say to myself D Major chord, or get down to the bass, or whatever, practical things to direct my mind to the things that I need to do, rather than what I have done……I keep my brain moving forward! Especially if I hit a clanger! I will immediately look at the next bar of the music, and direct myself to what I have to do.
We have to play little tricks on ourselves and become our own directors sometimes!
I also had a teacher that used to
unknown-user
ParticipantMy first harp teacher said exactly the same thing! He trained at the royal academy in London, and was principal with a major orchestra here – seems to be good advice!
-
AuthorPosts