harpcolumn

Thanksgiving “Performance”

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Thanksgiving “Performance”

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

I would have to say that I’m not a fan of using medicine for anything at all, but I did have an interesting experience several years ago that gave me a different perspective on the impact that alternate solutions can have on performance.

At the time, I was singing two or three services per week in a local church. I had NO performance anxiety, and always felt at ease whatever the makeup of the congregation.

Then came a situation in which I was taking daily doses (small) of Inderal for treatment of an extremely rapid heartbeat. Much to my amazement, it became even easier to sing in public, specifically easier breathing and less effort in doing physical movement and gesture.

Mind you, I never had the slightest

karen-conoan
    Participant

Mentally I do want to play in public.

unknown-user
    Participant

Inderol is a drug used for heart conditions, and alot of professional musicians use them to stop the shakes. As a heart medication it can have serious side effects, and also can permanently alter the heart rate.

GP’s in this part of the world are very hesitant to prescribe it for professional musicians and tend to only prescribe it on the very short term. For amateur musicians, it’d be quite difficult to get a prescription, as you are not reliant on performing for your income. So would not be considered serious enough.

I spoke to a concert pianist recently who has dreadful performance nerves, and he has all these rituals that he goes through before a performance to try and control his nerves..including lucky red underwear! He panics if he does not have it!

I also have my rituals, but not lucky undies…I do however have a series of exercises I go through before a concert, and find the physical exertion does alot to burn up some of the adernalin. I also find the endorphins that kick in, have the habit of helping to calm me.

Lisa McCann
    Participant

Hello, all, and Happy Thanksgiving to those of you in the U.S.!

The best advice I’ve ever received for performance anxiety was from my high school band director. I’ve always struggled with performance anxiety, and played a few piano preludes that I was preparing for a competition.

When I mentioned my anxiety to him, he asked “what are you afraid of, specifically?” I answered that I wanted to play my pieces perfectly, and that I feared making one mistake that would lead to another, and then to another, etc.

He replied “Have you ever just made up your mind to make a mistake on purpose?” Go ahead and make a mistake, on purpose, even a few mistakes, and notice that the world does not come to an end, and that you are still in control. If you make your mistakes early, and intentionally, you won’t make many (or any!) more.”

Well, that works for the most part! I think that the idea that you make a mistake and survive helps lessen the anxiety a bit. Thanks, Wayne Markworth (retired Centerville High School Band teacher, and former principal trumpet player in the Dayton Philharmonic).

Lisa

lisa-green
    Participant

Wow, this is the first time I’ve had so many people respond to one of my posts! I’ve hit a nerve, I guess. (Or lots of nerves!)

I’m happy to report I did okay today at the senior community where I played, swirly/floral/red/green/yellow/blue carpeting and all. Certainly not perfect, especially the second of the two pieces. The funny thing is, I don’t seem to have much anxiety until I am well into my piece. THEN, the nervousness sets in. Another hard thing for me is to stop correcting my mistakes (in performance) and just go on. But I feel pretty good about it all. I do what both my husband and Lisa (above) advise: give yourself permission to make a mistake. I did–and people still applauded!

The article on preparing for the big day was really helpful–thank you. I think the idea of moving the harp around when practicing will be really helpful in getting used to playing

unknown-user
    Participant

My first harp teacher said exactly the same thing! He trained at the royal academy in London, and was principal with a major orchestra here – seems to be good advice!

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Lisa,

Yes, its an important topic and I’m glad that you posted it! As so many of us amateur and professional struggle with it.

I’m glad that you concert at the senior community went well, I’m sure it gave alot to them.

I know what you mean about worrying during your piece, giving a running commentary correcting your own mistakes..I’ve done it myself….And my theory about why a piece starts okay is that one is only thinking about what you have to do to begin. As time goes on, you start jumbling your brain up with what you have just done and what you did wrong, and it becomes harder to concentrate on what you then have to do….

I have finally pretty well trained myself out of it, by deliberately looking forward to the next section while I play and forcing myself to change that internal dialogue to being about the next bit….I will look at the next bar and prepare in my mind the jump to that section, I will say to myself D Major chord, or get down to the bass, or whatever, practical things to direct my mind to the things that I need to do, rather than what I have done……I keep my brain moving forward! Especially if I hit a clanger! I will immediately look at the next bar of the music, and direct myself to what I have to do.

We have to play little tricks on ourselves and become our own directors sometimes!

I also had a teacher that used to

I love reading these posts…..they are helpful to me. My teacher tells me once you sit down to play the piece, you should sing along with it in your head. It helps — sometimes — when I remember to do that.

I like your idea of looking ahead, Curls. I will try that.

Briggs

lisa-green
    Participant

Great suggestions, Curls and Briggsie. Thanks! (Right now I am singing one of my pieces in my head. La la la….)

Lisa

You’re welcome. My teacher studied with Susann MacDonald. She had to sing solfeg a lot when she played. She said it really helped.

unknown-user
    Participant

Yep, kindred spirits again! I had to sing solfege alot when I studied with my first harp teacher….Glad you mentioned it as I really need to brush up on it and teach it to my students….

Cheers,

Six dog woman….

Well I learned moveable Do from a Hungarian musician in college. That is so much more difficult than singing fixed Do, and when my teacher told me to use fixed Do, there’s like — nothing to it!!

Briggs

8 dog woman

unknown-user
    Participant

Greetings 8 dogs…

I learnt the movable “doh”, and yes, it bends your brain but it is quite good for transposition. And my teacher was very fond of making me transpose at sight. But I will investigate fixed doh for mere mortals. Also, I’m still hunting

I do not find analyzing the chord structure boring..I just find it difficult to remember for the most part. I find myself memorizing chords where I consistently make a mistake. However, those are the places where I will play absolutely flawlessly in public, but then I will forget like on

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies