unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,221 through 2,235 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: That first inspiring work…. #86750
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Leonard! My little cousin from my part of the world! Yes, the Salzedo Variations

    in reply to: That first inspiring work…. #86749
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Rod,

    That’s a great idea! I have been preparing a choral concert with some kids for a posh high school here,and you are right, actually working with the harp is something kids really respond to.

    So, yes, if I can work in accompanying kids with what they are working on that may give them some insight into the harp. That may be a different type of concert, maybe a workshop type set up rather than a performance as such. And that in itself is a terrific idea. A series of Chamber music workshops were we

    in reply to: That first inspiring work…. #86748
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Ken,

    You Ken, Lisa and Tony, have convinced me I’ll be taking my folk harp along and playing some traditional tunes.

    Yes, I heard that about O’Carolan too. What I heard was that in some ways his music is not considered by some purists to be folk music. As

    in reply to: That first inspiring work…. #86747
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Helio,

    Yes me too! I had an album of Zabaleta playing french works, Samuel Rousseau, Tailleferre, Ravel, Roussel and I used to listen to it over and over. His phrasing and expression was always so intensely passionate

    in reply to: Fashion Sense #86635
    unknown-user
    Participant

    And then of course a kilt is properly worn with no other garment underneath so the show might include even more than a deep bow with a low neckline would!

    in reply to: That first inspiring work…. #86745
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Annie Challan performing old harp music(Hochbrucker,Petrini,Krumpholtz) was my first harp album but Zabaleta playing Samuel Rousseau and Roussel,that was a genuine inspiration

    in reply to: Go Ahead Without a Teacher? #162984
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I am so far teaching myself also,I ordered the sylvia woods book and dvd.so far it works! You’ve just got practice and pay close attention,and she does let you know that learning wrong habits early is not good!

    in reply to: Nifty gig gadgets… #111918
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Typo alert….I meant to say……tuning a string while sitting down. I do not stand to attention each time I tweak the tuning!!

    in reply to: Nifty gig gadgets… #111917
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks Briggs, Tony and Leigh. They are a great idea actually…for students but also when you are retuning a string at a gig and sitting down…

    Looks like I’m going to have lots of gadgets in my Chrissy stocking. Love gadgets, they

    in reply to: Nifty gig gadgets… #111916
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Yes, it is very war of the worldish! And its funny, but I have one of the clip ons from L&H, and it is also out of this world death rayish…and last night at a choir rehearsal the gurls were playing with it and doing the death ray sound so you are not the only one that thinks that!

    in reply to: Nifty gig gadgets… #111915
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Great tip Rod, I’ve had problems with harps sliding across overly polished floors – and you try and pedal and the harp slides sideways…

    Vicious metal claws…hmmmm…that is interesting. Do you think the rubber stopper that goes into it is missing, or is this a Horngacher thing to stop the harp moving at all costs? Still jealous of you with that harp, but they way….(green with envy!) (And how did the Swan Lake go?)

    in reply to: Nifty gig gadgets… #111914
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Where did you get your fingerless mitts Barbara? I’d love a pair in cashmere!

    in reply to: That first inspiring work…. #86742
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks all. The minute you say these pieces, I say to myself of course! And they are all going on, and I will add a little thankyou to you all in my program for help with the repertoire selections!

    Glinka Nocturne, the Chanson, Rumores de la Caleta are all now on my list! I may put the Impromptu on to, if I have it up with all my other work “stuff”.

    Some more folk music is definitely in order and I’ll hunt out that Welsh tune you mentioned Lisa.

    in reply to: any one heard of or played muma harps? #163828
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The first harp I rented was a sweet little Muma harp with detachable legs. I loved it and regret not having bought it. Mr. Muma is a very, very fine maker who stands behind his instruments. I e-mailed him when I thought of buying the little harp I rented and found him to be very helpful and courteous. I would totally reccomend anything he made. Two thumbs up as they say.

    in reply to: That first inspiring work…. #86738
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Actually, there is an arrangement of the second movement for just flute and harp out there..and that gets the cogs moving in my

Viewing 15 posts - 2,221 through 2,235 (of 5,570 total)